Joseph Balsamo's stakes winner Weigelia showed his consistency again by taking the six-furlong $150,000 Jack Dudley Sprint during Calder's Florida Million.
Lloyd Madison Farms' 4-year-old Champali is among the horses to beat in a wide-open field of 13 entered in the $500,000 Smile Sprint Handicap (gr. III), part of the "Summit of Speed" series at Calder Race Course Saturday.
Man From Wicklow, who won last year's Gulfstream Park Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. I), is currently training at Palm Meadows for a scheduled start in the Sunshine Millions Franks Farm Turf on Jan. 24.
Calder specialist Love That Moon posted a mild upset in the $150,000 Jack Dudley Sprint Handicap on Florida Million day, defeating Pick'em by three-quarters of a length with 8-to-5 favorite Sing Me Back Home finishing third.
Most Popular Stories
- Stallion Oxbow to Stand at Calumet in 2015
- Officials Examining Horse Deaths at Saratoga
- Competitive Group Entered for Smarty Jones
- California Chrome Progressing Toward PA Derby
- Hollendorfer Duo Part of Even Yellow Ribbon
- Barretts October Yearling Catalog Available
- Micromanage Set for Another Distance Test
- Knee Surgery to Sideline Kid Cruz for Year
- Goldencents vs. Wise Dan Showdown Likely
- Lemon Drop Kid: A Class Act