Joseph Balsamo's stakes winner Weigelia showed his consistency again by taking the six-furlong $150,000 Jack Dudley Sprint during Calder's Florida Million.
Lloyd Madison Farms' 4-year-old Champali is among the horses to beat in a wide-open field of 13 entered in the $500,000 Smile Sprint Handicap (gr. III), part of the "Summit of Speed" series at Calder Race Course Saturday.
Man From Wicklow, who won last year's Gulfstream Park Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. I), is currently training at Palm Meadows for a scheduled start in the Sunshine Millions Franks Farm Turf on Jan. 24.
Calder specialist Love That Moon posted a mild upset in the $150,000 Jack Dudley Sprint Handicap on Florida Million day, defeating Pick'em by three-quarters of a length with 8-to-5 favorite Sing Me Back Home finishing third.
Most Popular Stories
- Archarcharch, Tizway to South Korea
- Better Talk Now Euthanized at Age 18
- After 26 Stakes Wins, Fan Favorite Ben's Cat Retired
- Lights of Medina Leads Pletcher Trio in Mother Goose
- Curlin's Approval Heads Princess Rooney
- Holy Helena Favored for Queen's Plate
- Obituary: Jack Arterburn Spent Life in Racing
- Mott Set for Queen's Plate Debut With Channel Maker
- Get your Scorecard, the Travers Trail Has Begun
- Delta Bluesman Aims to Repeat in Smile Sprint