Joseph Balsamo's stakes winner Weigelia showed his consistency again by taking the six-furlong $150,000 Jack Dudley Sprint during Calder's Florida Million.
Lloyd Madison Farms' 4-year-old Champali is among the horses to beat in a wide-open field of 13 entered in the $500,000 Smile Sprint Handicap (gr. III), part of the "Summit of Speed" series at Calder Race Course Saturday.
Man From Wicklow, who won last year's Gulfstream Park Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. I), is currently training at Palm Meadows for a scheduled start in the Sunshine Millions Franks Farm Turf on Jan. 24.
Calder specialist Love That Moon posted a mild upset in the $150,000 Jack Dudley Sprint Handicap on Florida Million day, defeating Pick'em by three-quarters of a length with 8-to-5 favorite Sing Me Back Home finishing third.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- Top 3-Year-Old Fillies to Battle in Cotillion
- Kandaly, 1994 Louisiana Derby Winner, Dies
- 2013 Breeding Activity Statistics Released
- Oaklawn to Offer Bonuses for Lasix-Free Wins
- Jockey Club: Study Shows Lasix Not Needed
- Top Stallion Street Cry Dead at Age 16
- Wise Dan and His Quarter Horse Buddy Donnie
- Study Examines EIPH and Racing Performance
- Breeders Sales Co. Expects Strong Auction