Red Giant burst onto the national stage July 21 with a victory at 37-1 in the Virginia Derby (gr. IIT) and the Todd Pletcher trainee could be the horse to beat in the $400,000 Secretariat Stakes (gr. IT) for 3-year-old turf specialists at Arlington Park Saturday.
When racing officials at Colonial Downs added the $750,000 Colonial Turf Cup (gr. IIIT) to their stakes schedule to create the Jacobs Investments $5 million "Grand Slam of Grass," they envisioned attracting strong interest from international horses.
Looking to punch their tickets to Louisville for next month's Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), a field of nine 3-year-olds will meet in Saturday's 50th running of the Illinois Derby (gr. II) at Hawthorne Race Course.
Ten new horses have joined Thoroughbred racing's 2007 Triple Crown trail as late nominees to the three classics, setting an overall record of 460 nominees.
Most Popular Stories
- Favored Amis Gizmo Captures Prince of Wales
- Gun Runner Arrives at Monmouth for Haskell
- Dalakhani Pensioned from Stud Duty
- Bradley Reflects on Big Day at Saratoga
- Songbird All Heart at Saratoga
- Old Friends Reports Death of Futural
- 'Chrome' Edges Dortmund in Del Mar Battle
- Stonestreet: Rachel's Valentina Retired
- Songbird Fine After Sharp CCA Oaks Victory
- Lane's End Texas Closes, Stallions Relocate