Red Giant burst onto the national stage July 21 with a victory at 37-1 in the Virginia Derby (gr. IIT) and the Todd Pletcher trainee could be the horse to beat in the $400,000 Secretariat Stakes (gr. IT) for 3-year-old turf specialists at Arlington Park Saturday.
When racing officials at Colonial Downs added the $750,000 Colonial Turf Cup (gr. IIIT) to their stakes schedule to create the Jacobs Investments $5 million "Grand Slam of Grass," they envisioned attracting strong interest from international horses.
Looking to punch their tickets to Louisville for next month's Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), a field of nine 3-year-olds will meet in Saturday's 50th running of the Illinois Derby (gr. II) at Hawthorne Race Course.
Ten new horses have joined Thoroughbred racing's 2007 Triple Crown trail as late nominees to the three classics, setting an overall record of 460 nominees.
Most Popular Stories
- Lukas Drops by to See Old Friend Charismatic
- Rockridge's Posse Will Not Return to U.S.
- Lemon Drop Kid an Emerging Broodmare Sire
- U S Officer, Cool Arrow Set for Springboard
- Miss Temple City Scores Matriarch by a Nose
- Trainer Davis Looks Forward to More Success
- Santa Anita Moves American Oaks to Dec. 31
- Northwest Stud Announces 2017 Stud Fees
- Laoban Works Toward Return
- Track Maintenance Internships Being Offered