Red Giant burst onto the national stage July 21 with a victory at 37-1 in the Virginia Derby (gr. IIT) and the Todd Pletcher trainee could be the horse to beat in the $400,000 Secretariat Stakes (gr. IT) for 3-year-old turf specialists at Arlington Park Saturday.
When racing officials at Colonial Downs added the $750,000 Colonial Turf Cup (gr. IIIT) to their stakes schedule to create the Jacobs Investments $5 million "Grand Slam of Grass," they envisioned attracting strong interest from international horses.
Looking to punch their tickets to Louisville for next month's Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), a field of nine 3-year-olds will meet in Saturday's 50th running of the Illinois Derby (gr. II) at Hawthorne Race Course.
Ten new horses have joined Thoroughbred racing's 2007 Triple Crown trail as late nominees to the three classics, setting an overall record of 460 nominees.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Takes Easy Gallop at Spa
- Belmont Winner Palace Malice Retired
- NBC Schedules Two-Hour Travers Broadcast
- OBS Yearling Sale Stays Steady on Final Day
- Travers Stakes: High Anxiety
- Illinois Vote Could Impact Thoroughbred Dates
- Violette Undecided on Travers for Upstart
- American Pharoah Draws Post 2 for Travers
- Keeneland Plans for Sale Activity During BC
- Stellar Wind Tops Torrey Pines Field