Red Giant burst onto the national stage July 21 with a victory at 37-1 in the Virginia Derby (gr. IIT) and the Todd Pletcher trainee could be the horse to beat in the $400,000 Secretariat Stakes (gr. IT) for 3-year-old turf specialists at Arlington Park Saturday.
When racing officials at Colonial Downs added the $750,000 Colonial Turf Cup (gr. IIIT) to their stakes schedule to create the Jacobs Investments $5 million "Grand Slam of Grass," they envisioned attracting strong interest from international horses.
Looking to punch their tickets to Louisville for next month's Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), a field of nine 3-year-olds will meet in Saturday's 50th running of the Illinois Derby (gr. II) at Hawthorne Race Course.
Ten new horses have joined Thoroughbred racing's 2007 Triple Crown trail as late nominees to the three classics, setting an overall record of 460 nominees.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Arrives at Santa Anita
- Songbird Untouchable in Cotillion
- Connect in Good Shape After PA Derby Win
- Connect Bounces Back in Pennsylvania Derby
- Ward: Scope Shows Lady Aurelia Bled
- Solid Keeneland Sale Ends With Declines
- Texas Chrome Prevails in Oklahoma Derby
- Runhappy Logs Final Drill for Return
- Handle Decreased 26% at Monmouth Park in 2016
- Miyadi Suspended by CHRB After Altercation