Red Giant burst onto the national stage July 21 with a victory at 37-1 in the Virginia Derby (gr. IIT) and the Todd Pletcher trainee could be the horse to beat in the $400,000 Secretariat Stakes (gr. IT) for 3-year-old turf specialists at Arlington Park Saturday.
When racing officials at Colonial Downs added the $750,000 Colonial Turf Cup (gr. IIIT) to their stakes schedule to create the Jacobs Investments $5 million "Grand Slam of Grass," they envisioned attracting strong interest from international horses.
Looking to punch their tickets to Louisville for next month's Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), a field of nine 3-year-olds will meet in Saturday's 50th running of the Illinois Derby (gr. II) at Hawthorne Race Course.
Ten new horses have joined Thoroughbred racing's 2007 Triple Crown trail as late nominees to the three classics, setting an overall record of 460 nominees.
Most Popular Stories
- Leroidesanimaux Dies at 16
- Kentucky Suspends Umarov for 10 Years
- Destin Work is 'Stamina Builder' for Belmont
- Rockingham to End All Operations Aug. 31
- Little Nappy is Shackleford's First Winner
- Taris Could Opt for Triple Bend Over Vanity
- Velasquez to Ride Full-Time at Gulfstream
- Catch a Glimpse Probable for Penn Mile
- Governor Malibu Has Strong Work for Belmont
- America's Galileo