Ron Franklin, who became a teenage sensation in 1979 when he rode Spectacular Bid to victory in the first two legs of the Triple Crown, is expected to appear before the Maryland Racing Commission Feb. 20 to ask for reinstatement as a jockey.
Former jockey Randy Romero is among eight sports figures that will be inducted into Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame at a June 25 ceremony in Natchitoches.
Plans have been floated for two racetracks in Louisiana, but some legislators have asked the state racing commission not to issue any more licenses. They believe the plans are more about gaming than horse racing.
Most Popular Stories
- Terranovas Seek Derby Success With El Kabeir
- Sherman: Ascot Could Be Rough on 'Chrome'
- U.S. Alleges Conspiracy at Penn National
- Luck of the Kitten Starts '15 in Transylvania
- Is Mubtaahij a Major Derby Contender?
- El Kabeir Fires Bullet Work at Belmont
- California Chrome Headed to Royal Ascot
- Keeneland Plans Wide Live Broadcast Coverage
- ROAP Seeks Regulation of 'Program Trainers'
- Untapable Heads Asmussen Workers at Oaklawn