Ron Franklin, who became a teenage sensation in 1979 when he rode Spectacular Bid to victory in the first two legs of the Triple Crown, is expected to appear before the Maryland Racing Commission Feb. 20 to ask for reinstatement as a jockey.
Former jockey Randy Romero is among eight sports figures that will be inducted into Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame at a June 25 ceremony in Natchitoches.
Plans have been floated for two racetracks in Louisiana, but some legislators have asked the state racing commission not to issue any more licenses. They believe the plans are more about gaming than horse racing.
Most Popular Stories
- Handsome Mike to Stand at Pleasant Acres
- New Purse Payout for Charles Town Classic
- Qatar Sponsorship Boosts Goodwood Purses
- Baffert Quartet Faces Shared Belief in Malibu
- Don't Tell Sophia Back at Oaklawn for 2015
- Scholarship Named in Honor of Thornbury
- Champion High Chaparral Euthanized at 15
- Gulfstream Builds Stalls for Displaced Horses
- Awesome Baby Heads Speedy Field in La Brea
- Dortmund Wins Dramatic Los Alamitos Futurity