Fiery Pursuit shot to the lead and kept on rolling, holding off a hard-charging Asi Siempre by a head in the $328,200 Louisville Breeders' Cup Stakes Friday over a sloppy track at Churchill Downs.
Stronach Stable's homebred Sugar Shake brings a three-race winning streak, including a Santa Maria Handicap (gr. I) victory in her most recent start for trainer Bobby Frankel, into the $300,000 Louisville Breeders' Cup (gr. II) for fillies and mares at Churchill Downs Friday.
The Allen Paulson Living Trust's Azeri, the 2002 "Horse of the Year" and champion older filly or mare in 2003, has been assigned high weight of 125 pounds for an expected start in Saturday's $250,000-added Humana Distaff (gr. I) at Churchill Downs.
Allen E. Paulson Living Trust's Azeri, the 2002 Horse of the Year and a dazzling winner of the recent Apple Blossom Handicap (gr. II) at Oaklawn Park, worked a bullet four furlongs on a muddy track Wednesday at Churchill Downs.
Secret Status won the Kentucky Oaks a year ago. This year on Kentucky Oaks Day, she ran out as the 4-to-5 favorite in the $250,000 Louisville Breeders' Cup (gr. II). The winner in a photo was the Bob Baffert-trained Saudi Poetry over a fast closing Royal Fair.
Most Popular Stories
- Veteran Kentucky-Based Hot Walker Roche Dies at 91
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Fair Grounds in the Spotlight
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Baffert Talks 2017 Triple Crown
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Elliott Honored with George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award
- Oscar Performance Targeting Keeneland for Season Debut
- Guest Suite Taking Farish, Howard on Classic Ride
- Three Rules Fires Florida Bullet