Observing its traditional holiday start, Fair Grounds will open its doors Thanksgiving Day, beginning an 81-day meet highlighted by Louisiana Derby day, the richest day in Louisiana racing history, which will feature six stakes worth $2.2 million.
The five stakes winners on the second half of Louisiana Lagniappe Weekend Sunday at Fair Grounds Race Course shared a common thread: all were winners earlier in the meet.
Jazz Quest began the parade of longshots on Louisiana Lagniappe Weekend at Fair Grounds in Saturday's $100,000 Grindstone Stakes. In the finale of a five-stakes program, Saint Anddan scored a mild upset when taking down the $150,000 Duncan F. Kenner Breeders' Cup Stakes.
Gaff and Corrupt, both stakes winners during the Fair Grounds Race Course meet, headline the first of two five-stakes programs on Saturday.
Fair Grounds Race Course announced Friday that it is increasing its purse schedule by 18% and adding five new stakes races for Louisiana breds to its Harrah's Louisiana Downs schedule.
Most Popular Stories
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 12/10/2013
- Veterinarian-Farrier Team Key to Managing Laminitic Horses
- Slideshow: Royal Delta
- Horizontal Navigation: Blogs and Multimedia
- NJ Senate Committee OKs Instant Racing Bill
- Gulfstream Expands Lead in Handle
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale Posts Increases
- Oaklawn Park to Open 57-day Meet Jan. 10
- New Career Plans for Retired Comma to the Top