Observing its traditional holiday start, Fair Grounds will open its doors Thanksgiving Day, beginning an 81-day meet highlighted by Louisiana Derby day, the richest day in Louisiana racing history, which will feature six stakes worth $2.2 million.
The five stakes winners on the second half of Louisiana Lagniappe Weekend Sunday at Fair Grounds Race Course shared a common thread: all were winners earlier in the meet.
Jazz Quest began the parade of longshots on Louisiana Lagniappe Weekend at Fair Grounds in Saturday's $100,000 Grindstone Stakes. In the finale of a five-stakes program, Saint Anddan scored a mild upset when taking down the $150,000 Duncan F. Kenner Breeders' Cup Stakes.
Gaff and Corrupt, both stakes winners during the Fair Grounds Race Course meet, headline the first of two five-stakes programs on Saturday.
Fair Grounds Race Course announced Friday that it is increasing its purse schedule by 18% and adding five new stakes races for Louisiana breds to its Harrah's Louisiana Downs schedule.
Most Popular Stories
- Derby Battle: Tapit vs. Uncle Mo
- Nyquist Ships to Churchill Day After Work
- A Derby Rookie's First Churchill Morning
- Uncle Lino Game in California Chrome Stakes
- Toews On Ice Glides to William Walker Win
- Exaggerator Works for Kentucky Derby Bid
- Dettori Strikes With 'Gold' in 2000 Guineas
- Alert Bay Holds Tough in San Francisco Mile
- Ward Sends Three Fillies in Kentucky Juvenile
- Danzing Candy Logs Final Derby Breeze