Observing its traditional holiday start, Fair Grounds will open its doors Thanksgiving Day, beginning an 81-day meet highlighted by Louisiana Derby day, the richest day in Louisiana racing history, which will feature six stakes worth $2.2 million.
The five stakes winners on the second half of Louisiana Lagniappe Weekend Sunday at Fair Grounds Race Course shared a common thread: all were winners earlier in the meet.
Jazz Quest began the parade of longshots on Louisiana Lagniappe Weekend at Fair Grounds in Saturday's $100,000 Grindstone Stakes. In the finale of a five-stakes program, Saint Anddan scored a mild upset when taking down the $150,000 Duncan F. Kenner Breeders' Cup Stakes.
Gaff and Corrupt, both stakes winners during the Fair Grounds Race Course meet, headline the first of two five-stakes programs on Saturday.
Fair Grounds Race Course announced Friday that it is increasing its purse schedule by 18% and adding five new stakes races for Louisiana breds to its Harrah's Louisiana Downs schedule.
Most Popular Stories
- Carpe Diem Back at Keeneland for Blue Grass
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for March 31, 2015
- Fracture Knocks Far From Over Off Derby Trail
- Stallion Sharp Humor Dies in South Korea
- Suffolk Expected to Apply for 2015 Live Dates
- Undrafted Opens Season in Shakertown
- Kobe's Back Returns East for Commonwealth
- Terranovas Seek Derby Success With El Kabeir
- Sherman: Ascot Could Be Rough on 'Chrome'
- Officials: Penalty System Key Part of Program