Gulfstream Park had $27,255,863 in all-sources handle March 28, breaking its Florida Derby Day record of $26,820,951 that was set March 29, 2014.
Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots announced its second purse increase of the season Feb. 5, boosting overnight purses 5% while also increasing the prize money for three Louisiana Derby Day stakes.
Dan Hendricks saddled Daytona to four consecutive stakes victories in the past five months, his most recent being the Feb. 9 Fair Grounds Handicap (gr. IIIT). In the March 8 Mervyn Muniz Jr. Memorial Handicap (gr. IIT) at Fair Grounds, the trainer looks to extend that streak and add another graded win to his runner's resume.
Nominations for the five stakes races on Louisiana Derby Day March 10 at Fair Grounds Race Course close Saturday.
Louisiana Derby Day at Fair Grounds Race Course Saturday shattered all-sources handle records and the modern on-track handle record.
Most Popular Stories
- Borells Charged With Animal Cruelty
- Danzing Candy to Make First Start for Baffert
- Rachel's Valentina Returns in Mother Goose
- Relief Comes to Abandoned Horses in Kentucky
- Legends: Charlie Whittingham, the Bald Eagle
- White-Headed Foal Named Southern Phantom
- Recruiting Ready Signs on for Bashford Manor
- Limousine Liberal Seeks Graded Score in Smile
- Kentucky Neglect Case Under Investigation
- Birdatthewire Makes Gulfstream Return