At a mile and a half, the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) has always been considered the true test of stamina and ability among Thoroughbreds, according to leading horsemen from the 1960s.
Patrice Wolfson, owner of the last Triple Crown winner, says I'll Have Another is a worthy successor to Affirmed.
La Affirmed, a pensioned graded stakes producer for Elizabeth Moran's Brushwood Farm, was euthanized May 21 because of complications from the infirmities of old age.
- By Esther Marr
Media and other guests were invited to a June 6 reception for the opening of a new, permanent Affirmed exhibition that includes the Triple Crown winner's trophy collection, artwork, halter, and jewelry worn by his owner.
Most Popular Stories
- Racing's Stars Set for Santa Anita Saturday
- Texas Chrome Pointing to Dirt Mile
- Pinhooking Rookie Scores Big at Keeneland
- Team Block relocating Fort Prado to Indiana
- Amid Gloomy Forecast, Illinois Sets Dates
- Goffs Orby Off to Solid Start
- Broadcast Honors for Santa Anita, NYRA
- Pompa, Brown Connect on Dirt in Pa. Derby
- Eddie D. Stakes Split Into Divisions
- NBC Will Air Pegasus World Cup