Lou Ulman's Search For A Cure joined the ranks of stakes winners with a thrilling victory in the final jumps to win the $50,000 Squan Song Stakes Saturday at Laurel Park, beating 10 other Maryland-bred fillies and mares.
In an explosive meeting marked by a commissioner's expletive-filled response to charges of discrimination, the Maryland Racing Commission voted Oct. 14 to review the Maryland Jockey Club's documentation for evicting trainers and closing the Pimlico stable for the winter.
With the 90-day session of the General Assembly at its midpoint, the effort to legalize slot machines at Maryland racetracks has bogged down. Gov. Robert Ehrlich Jr. has gone back to the drawing board with his proposal which had, incredibly, angered nearly everyone.
As the investigation into "unusual circumstances" surrounding winning Breeders' Cup Ultra Pick Six wagers continued Oct. 30, there was some speculation as to whether those bets, and perhaps others made through unlicensed account-wagering providers, are legal in Maryland.
The Maryland Racing Commission has reduced the penalties of two trainers who had been dealt lengthy suspensions after their horses raced at Pimlico Race Course with an illegal drug in their systems.
Churchill Downs Inc. recently tried to buy Maryland's major thoroughbred tracks but failed because Joe De Francis, president and CEO of the Maryland Jockey Club, insisted on retaining management control, The Baltimore Sun reported Friday.
The Maryland Racing Commission deferred action Wednesday, Jan. 23, on two crucial issues after representatives of the Maryland horsemen's organization and Maryland Jockey Club clashed, often heatedly, on nearly every point.
Most Popular Stories
- Breeder Berglar Earns Breeders' Cup Award
- GII Winner Forty Tales Retires to Sequel NY
- Ramsey Farm 2013 - Ken Ramsey Interview
- Stem Cells to Treat Chronic Laminitis: The Sooner the Better
- Hangin' With Haskin: My Top 10 Racing Movies
- Southwest Regional: Double Barrel
- Southeast Regional: Investing in Success
- One Last Hope to Salvage Illinois 2014 Season
- Reinventing Racing - By Eric Mitchell
- G3 Winner Keep Up Retired to Mill Ridge