Lou Ulman's Search For A Cure joined the ranks of stakes winners with a thrilling victory in the final jumps to win the $50,000 Squan Song Stakes Saturday at Laurel Park, beating 10 other Maryland-bred fillies and mares.
In an explosive meeting marked by a commissioner's expletive-filled response to charges of discrimination, the Maryland Racing Commission voted Oct. 14 to review the Maryland Jockey Club's documentation for evicting trainers and closing the Pimlico stable for the winter.
With the 90-day session of the General Assembly at its midpoint, the effort to legalize slot machines at Maryland racetracks has bogged down. Gov. Robert Ehrlich Jr. has gone back to the drawing board with his proposal which had, incredibly, angered nearly everyone.
As the investigation into "unusual circumstances" surrounding winning Breeders' Cup Ultra Pick Six wagers continued Oct. 30, there was some speculation as to whether those bets, and perhaps others made through unlicensed account-wagering providers, are legal in Maryland.
The Maryland Racing Commission has reduced the penalties of two trainers who had been dealt lengthy suspensions after their horses raced at Pimlico Race Course with an illegal drug in their systems.
Churchill Downs Inc. recently tried to buy Maryland's major thoroughbred tracks but failed because Joe De Francis, president and CEO of the Maryland Jockey Club, insisted on retaining management control, The Baltimore Sun reported Friday.
The Maryland Racing Commission deferred action Wednesday, Jan. 23, on two crucial issues after representatives of the Maryland horsemen's organization and Maryland Jockey Club clashed, often heatedly, on nearly every point.
Most Popular Stories
- Long-Term Vision Possible After Equine Cataract Surgery
- Plan in Works to Save Suffolk Downs Racing
- Slideshow: Owner and Breeder Aaron Jones
- Espinoza Suspended for Awesome Again Ride
- Figures Decline at F-T Midlantic Fall Sale
- Two-Time Gr. I Winner Strategic Maneuver Dies
- Rosalind to Fasig-Tipton November Sale
- Simulcast Conference: HD Options Progressing
- Desormeaux to Hospital After Kick by Horse
- Kay Outlines Recent Successes to NYRA Board