Graded stakes winner and grade I stakes-placed Bearpath, who sustained a shoulder injury during the John's Call Stakes at Saratoga Aug. 5, was euthanized Sept. 23.
Vacare, a grade I winner who raced exclusively on turf, will not contest the Jan. 4 San Gorgonio Handicap (gr. IIT) at Santa Anita and instead has been retired from racing.
Toll Taker, a graded stakes winner, has been retired from racing and is booked to Street Cry.
After much deliberation, owner Robert L. Lothenbach decided against pre-entering his prized 3-year-old turf filly Vacare in the Breeders' Cup Filly and Mare Turf (gr. IT).
Mayo On the Side, a grade I winner over Azeri, delivered her first foal, a Speightstown filly April 2 at Steve Davison's Twin Creeks Farm near Versailles, Ky.
Mayo On the Side, who beat Horse of the Year Azeri in winning the 2004 Humana Distaff Handicap (gr. I), has been retired from racing and is booked to Eclipse Award sprint finalist Speightstown.
Azeri came back time after time, but it wasn't enough. Mayo on the Side and Pat Day got by at the end to win the Humana Distaff Handicap (gr. I) at Churchill Downs Saturday.
Jockey Pat Day and Mayo On the Side skimmed the rail to take the lead in midstretch and pulled away to a two-length victory in the $100,000 Doubledogdare Stakes at Keeneland Friday afternoon.
Hawthorne Race Course's ended its 23-day spring meet with double digit increases in average on-track, full card, and total all-sources handle.
Most Popular Stories
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- Capps' Death is Big Loss to Louisville Equine Program
- Albarado Fractures Lower Leg, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Nichols Canyon Connections Pointing for Iroquois Bonus
- Spending Time With New Trainer Kent Sweezey
- Santa Anita Cancels April 27 Racing
- Goldikova, Espinoza Among Hall of Fame Inductees
- Reach the World Euthanized After Training Injury