Irish-bred Volga, racing in the finest form of her career, registered a convincing 2 3/4-length win Saturday in the $200,000 La Prevoyante Handicap (gr. IIT) over 1 1/2 miles on the turf at Calder Race Course.
Robert S. Evans' 5-year-old homebred mare New Economy won the $200,000 La Prevoyante Handicap (gr. II) last year and goes for a repeat tally Saturday in the 12-furlong turf test at Calder.
Calder's $100,000 My Charmer Handicap (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares at 1 1/8 miles drew an overflow field of 17, with 12 to start in Saturday's race.
French Charmer, who has competed at seven different racetracks along the east coast in the past year, returned to Calder Race Course Saturday afternoon to take the $100,000 Flying Pidgeon Handicap.
Most Popular Stories
- Winx Soars to Fifteenth Straight Win
- Veteran Kentucky-Based Hot Walker Roche Dies at 91
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Fair Grounds in the Spotlight
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Baffert Talks 2017 Triple Crown
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Elliott Honored with George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award
- Oscar Performance Targeting Keeneland for Season Debut
- Guest Suite Taking Farish, Howard on Classic Ride