Irish-bred Volga, racing in the finest form of her career, registered a convincing 2 3/4-length win Saturday in the $200,000 La Prevoyante Handicap (gr. IIT) over 1 1/2 miles on the turf at Calder Race Course.
Robert S. Evans' 5-year-old homebred mare New Economy won the $200,000 La Prevoyante Handicap (gr. II) last year and goes for a repeat tally Saturday in the 12-furlong turf test at Calder.
Calder's $100,000 My Charmer Handicap (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares at 1 1/8 miles drew an overflow field of 17, with 12 to start in Saturday's race.
French Charmer, who has competed at seven different racetracks along the east coast in the past year, returned to Calder Race Course Saturday afternoon to take the $100,000 Flying Pidgeon Handicap.
Most Popular Stories
- Competitive Edge Super Sharp in Hopeful Romp
- Study: Boots, Wraps Increase Leg Heat during Exercise
- Miss Serendipity, Blanc Snatch Yellow Ribbon
- Del Mar Trainers to Hop in Bouncey Ball Race
- Sharp Sensation Edges Ben's Cat in 'Monster
- Cary Street Rides Rail to Greenwood Surprise
- Fall Meet at Los Alamitos Begins Sept. 5
- Protonico Surges in Smarty Jones for Pletcher
- Ring Weekend at Home on Turf in Saranac Win
- Belmont Fall Championship Meet Opens Sept. 5