Irish-bred Volga, racing in the finest form of her career, registered a convincing 2 3/4-length win Saturday in the $200,000 La Prevoyante Handicap (gr. IIT) over 1 1/2 miles on the turf at Calder Race Course.
Robert S. Evans' 5-year-old homebred mare New Economy won the $200,000 La Prevoyante Handicap (gr. II) last year and goes for a repeat tally Saturday in the 12-furlong turf test at Calder.
Calder's $100,000 My Charmer Handicap (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares at 1 1/8 miles drew an overflow field of 17, with 12 to start in Saturday's race.
French Charmer, who has competed at seven different racetracks along the east coast in the past year, returned to Calder Race Course Saturday afternoon to take the $100,000 Flying Pidgeon Handicap.
Most Popular Stories
- Zayat, Romans Want to See Prayer for Relief in Pegasus
- Arrogate Sails Through Penultimate Work for Pegasus Cup
- Noble Bird May Start in Pegasus
- New York trainer/breeder DiSanto Dies at 62
- California Chrome Focused in Penultimate Move
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- Lockdown Cruises in Busanda Win
- High Profile Fillies in Fair Grounds Stakes
- Pletcher Contenders Breeze for Pegasus
- First Foal for Silver Max a Filly