Irish-bred Volga, racing in the finest form of her career, registered a convincing 2 3/4-length win Saturday in the $200,000 La Prevoyante Handicap (gr. IIT) over 1 1/2 miles on the turf at Calder Race Course.
Robert S. Evans' 5-year-old homebred mare New Economy won the $200,000 La Prevoyante Handicap (gr. II) last year and goes for a repeat tally Saturday in the 12-furlong turf test at Calder.
Calder's $100,000 My Charmer Handicap (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares at 1 1/8 miles drew an overflow field of 17, with 12 to start in Saturday's race.
French Charmer, who has competed at seven different racetracks along the east coast in the past year, returned to Calder Race Course Saturday afternoon to take the $100,000 Flying Pidgeon Handicap.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Logs Easy Afternoon Workout
- California Chrome Logs Weekly Drill at Los Al
- Tepin Makes Stop at Belmont Park
- Harzand Completes Derby Double at Curragh
- Un Autre First Winner for I'll Have Another
- Sarah Sis Returns to Winning Ways in Chicago
- Jockey Hill Guides in 1,000th Winner
- How a Sire Line Develops
- Arrogate Impresses at Santa Anita
- Far From Over Victorious in Return