Irish-bred Volga, racing in the finest form of her career, registered a convincing 2 3/4-length win Saturday in the $200,000 La Prevoyante Handicap (gr. IIT) over 1 1/2 miles on the turf at Calder Race Course.
Robert S. Evans' 5-year-old homebred mare New Economy won the $200,000 La Prevoyante Handicap (gr. II) last year and goes for a repeat tally Saturday in the 12-furlong turf test at Calder.
Calder's $100,000 My Charmer Handicap (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares at 1 1/8 miles drew an overflow field of 17, with 12 to start in Saturday's race.
French Charmer, who has competed at seven different racetracks along the east coast in the past year, returned to Calder Race Course Saturday afternoon to take the $100,000 Flying Pidgeon Handicap.
Most Popular Stories
- Bayern Turns in Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- California Chrome Drills at Los Alamitos
- Old Friends to Receive Special Eclipse Award
- Travis Stone Named Churchill Downs Announcer
- Emerald Downs Purses to Rise 20% in 2015
- Rodenticide Linked to Six Sudden Horse Deaths
- Bridlewood Owner Malone Purchases Ballylinch
- Casino Would Negatively Impact Finger Lakes
- Pedigree Analysis: Milwaukee Brew
- Musselman Drops Lawsuit Against Churchill