Irish-bred Volga, racing in the finest form of her career, registered a convincing 2 3/4-length win Saturday in the $200,000 La Prevoyante Handicap (gr. IIT) over 1 1/2 miles on the turf at Calder Race Course.
Robert S. Evans' 5-year-old homebred mare New Economy won the $200,000 La Prevoyante Handicap (gr. II) last year and goes for a repeat tally Saturday in the 12-furlong turf test at Calder.
Calder's $100,000 My Charmer Handicap (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares at 1 1/8 miles drew an overflow field of 17, with 12 to start in Saturday's race.
French Charmer, who has competed at seven different racetracks along the east coast in the past year, returned to Calder Race Course Saturday afternoon to take the $100,000 Flying Pidgeon Handicap.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Apprentice Courtney Hernandez Gets First Win
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice