Simon Burgess talks with John Osborne, CEO of the Irish National Stud, about the property and the horses, including stallions Invincible Spirit, Art Connoisseur, Amadeus Wolf, and Lord Shanakill. Watch Video
Rip Van Winkle finally lived up to the hype and broke through for his first group I victory when he powered home for a 2 1/2-length win over Paco Boy in the BGC Sussex Stakes (Eng-I) at Goodwood July 29.
Lord Shanakill held off the late charge of Oiseau de Feu by a stubborn head to score his first group I victory in the Prix Jean Prat (Fr-I) at Chantilly July 5.
Mastercraftsman repulsed a strong bid from Delegator to post a gritty neck victory in the St. James's Palace Stakes (Eng-I) at Royal Ascot June 16.
Seventeen horses have reached the final declaration stage for the 2009 renewal of the stanjames.com Two Thousand Guineas (Eng-I), the opening Classic of the season run over the Rowley Mile at Newmarket on May 2.
PORTER ON PEDIGREES, by Alan Porter
Speightstown is one of seven freshmen sires that have already been represented by a group/graded stakes winner so far this year. Lord Shanakill, winner of the Dubai Duty Free Mill Reef Stakes (Eng-I) is one of Speightstown's top runners and the second group winner sired by a son of Gone West out of a Theatrical mare.
Freshman sire Speightstown (Gone West-Silken Cat, by Storm Cat) was represented by his first winner May 15 at York in England.
Most Popular Stories
- Upstart Proves Class in Holy Bull Stakes
- Eblouissante Retired, to be Bred in Europe
- Alert Bay Victorious in Cal Cup Turf Classic
- Mischief Clem, 'Kitty Post Upsets in Cal Cup
- Lochte Triumphs in Tampa Bay Thriller
- Birdatthewire Soars to Easy Forward Gal Win
- Barbados Makes the Grade in Hutcheson
- First Reported Foal by Justin Phillip a Colt
- Sugar Shock Takes American Beauty in Comeback
- Consumer Credit Captures Sweetest Chant