Dead Red advanced along the hedge to upset favored Mach Ride by three-quarters of a length at odds of 70-1 in the $250,000 Turf Sprint Championship at Calder Race Course on Saturday.
What are the odds of a son of Mecke winning the $100,000 Mecke Handicap at Calder Race Course? On Tuesday, July 4, they were about 7-to-2 -- those were the off-time odds on Trilogy Stable's 6-year-old horse Magic Mecke in the holiday feature race at Calder Racecourse.
Mr. and Mrs. Bertram Firestone's Grand Reserve, to be ridden by Jerry Bailey, and Shadwell Stable's Tadreeb, with Jose Velez Jr. aboard, are the horses to beat in a field of 11 3-year-olds entered in Saturday's $200,000 Calder Derby (gr. IIIT) at 1 1/8 miles on turf.
Local hope Lord Robyn won his third straight race since switching to the turf at Calder Race Course, romping to a front-running victory in the $100,000 Tropical Park Derby (gr. IIIT) for just-turned 3-year-olds at 1 1/8 miles.
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Horses Lose a Friend in Vet Byars
- Full Field of 14 Contest Wide-Open Modesty
- Hoppertunity Heading Home to California
- Sky Lantern Takes Second Crack at Falmouth
- Princess of Sylmar Seeks Del 'Cap Rebound
- Stars and Stripes Good Spot for Suntracer
- Hialeah Sees New Thoroughbred Opportunity
- Boisterous Holds Class Edge in Bowling Green
- Admiral Kitten Back at Arlington Park
- Panel: Change in Culture Needed in Racing