Trainer Jonathan Sheppard hopes With Anticipation can continue his remarkable Grade I winning streak in Sunday's Belmont Turf Classic (gr. IT).
In its 44-year history, only two horses, Majesty's Prince and Solar Splendor, have won back-to-back runnings of the 1 3/8-mile Man o' War (gr. IT). Seven-year-old gray gelding With Anticipation will try to become the third in Saturdays' turf feature.
The Hollywood Park meet comes to a close with several Hollywood-type finishes.
Continental Red hopes to run back to his winning ways in Sunday's Sunset Handicap (gr. IIT) at Hollywood Park, but to do so he will have to defeat a pair of Bobby Frankel runners, never an easy task. The 12-furlong Sunset will be the final stakes at the Hollywood meet that closes Sunday.
Longshot Grammarian arrived from Kentucky on July 15 for his stakes debut in the $250,000 Sunset Handicap (gr. IIT), a 1 1/2-mile turf test on Hollywood Park's closing day program July 21.
Irish Prize won another photo finish at Santa Anita Park on Monday, prevailing by a nose over long shot Continental Red in the $150,000 San Marcos Stakes (gr. II) on the turf.
Lord Flasheart, Single Empire, and Perssonet each worked Sunday in preparation for Saturday's $400,000 Hollywood Turf Cup (gr. IT) at Hollywood Park.
Most Popular Stories
- American Cleopatra Entered at Del Mar
- Nyquist, Exaggerator Renew Rivalry in Haskell
- Lady Eli Pointed to Aug. 27 Ballston Spa
- Exaggerator to Run in Haskell
- Mountaineer's Leading Trainer Suspended
- Alsvid Takes on Lord Nelson in Bing Crosby
- Stellar Wind to Challenge Beholder Again
- Shuvee Class Drop for Grade I Winner Curalina
- Litfin at Large: Jim Dandy Saturday
- Nyquist Arrives at Monmouth