Juddmonte Farms' First Defence punched his ticket for the Haskell Invitational (gr. I) Saturday, leading every step to win the $150,000 Long Branch Breeders' Cup for 3-year-olds by 2 1/4 lengths at Monmouth Park.
Juddmonte Farms homebred First Defence, a late-developing 3-year-old who was not ready for this year's Triple Crown events, steps it up Saturday for trainer Bobby Frankel in the $150,000 Long Branch Breeders' Cup, Monmouth's local prep for the $1 million Haskell Invitational (gr. I) on Aug. 5.
Praying for Cash ran his way into the $1 million Haskell Invitational (gr. I) Saturday with a game victory in the $150,000 Long Branch Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. III) for 3-year-olds at Monmouth Park.
Centaur Farms' Gotcha Gold, who "freaked" in the Coronado's Quest Stakes June 25, returns to action Saturday in the $150,000 Long Branch Breeders' Cup (gr. III) for 3-year-olds at Monmouth Park.
Char-Mari Stable's favored Park Avenue Ball proved he could be successful going two turns when he ran away from seven rivals for a 6 1/4-length victory in the $150,000 Long Branch Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. III) at Monmouth Park Saturday.
Park Avenue Ball, who captured last year's Futurity (gr. II) at Belmont Park but has yet to find the winner's circle as a 3-year-old, gets another test around two turns in the Long Branch Breeders' Cup (gr. III) at Monmouth Park on Saturday.
Lion Heart seemed ideally placed for his first win of 2004 in Saturday's $100,000 Long Branch Breeders' Cup (gr. III), but the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) runner-up needed everything he had to prevail as the 3-10 choice by a head over stubborn My Snookie's Boy at Monmouth Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Hangin' With Haskin: My Top 10 Racing Movies
- Southwest Regional: Double Barrel
- Southeast Regional: Investing in Success
- Reinventing Racing - By Eric Mitchell
- One Last Hope to Salvage Illinois 2014 Season
- Stem Cells to Treat Chronic Laminitis: The Sooner the Better
- G3 Winner Keep Up Retired to Mill Ridge
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 12/17/2013
- After the Wire: Shared Belief, Midnight Hawk
- Lasix-Free BC Juveniles Show Few EIPH Cases