Windy Hill Farm's Nate Mineshaft got back on the winning track with an easy front-end victory in the $300,000 Lone Star Handicap (gr. III) at Lone Star Park May 28.
Leading trainer Steve Asmussen could saddle three colts in the $400,000 Lone Star Park Handicap (gr. III) May 26, but even though the odds are in his favor, it still might not be enough to conquer Frank Stronach's Giant Gizmo, who enters the 1 1/16-mile test at the top of his game.
Lone Star Park at Grand Prairie's $400,000 Lone Star Derby (gr. III) highlights the Dallas-Fort Worth area racetrack's 2008 spring Thoroughbred season, which will feature 32 stakes events worth more than $3.5-million.
The Lone Star Derby (gr. III) has become Texas' richest graded stakes race, but it has dropped out of position as a prep race for the Kentucky Derby (gr. I). Lone Star Park's marquee race for three-year-olds will be run May 11 next year.
Most Popular Stories
- Close Hatches Dominates Personal Ensign
- Big Three Clash in Rich Travers Stakes
- California Chrome Sharpens Up at Los Alamitos
- Mark Valeski, Magna Graduate to Woodford
- Bayern Gallops 1 1/2 Miles On Eve of Travers
- Hootenanny, The Wow Signal to Meet in France
- Irish Surf Opts for Classic Over Del Mar 'Cap
- F-T Saratoga Fall Sale Expanded to Two Days
- Narniyn Seeks Breakthrough in Jean Romanet
- Jerkens, Lukas, Durkin Honored at Saratoga