Windy Hill Farm's Nate Mineshaft got back on the winning track with an easy front-end victory in the $300,000 Lone Star Handicap (gr. III) at Lone Star Park May 28.
Leading trainer Steve Asmussen could saddle three colts in the $400,000 Lone Star Park Handicap (gr. III) May 26, but even though the odds are in his favor, it still might not be enough to conquer Frank Stronach's Giant Gizmo, who enters the 1 1/16-mile test at the top of his game.
Lone Star Park at Grand Prairie's $400,000 Lone Star Derby (gr. III) highlights the Dallas-Fort Worth area racetrack's 2008 spring Thoroughbred season, which will feature 32 stakes events worth more than $3.5-million.
The Lone Star Derby (gr. III) has become Texas' richest graded stakes race, but it has dropped out of position as a prep race for the Kentucky Derby (gr. I). Lone Star Park's marquee race for three-year-olds will be run May 11 next year.
Most Popular Stories
- Santa Anita Can't Hurt Shared Belief
- What's Going On Here: A Rich Trifecta
- Health Zone: Hoof Care - Hoof Anatomy
- Slideshow: Owner and Breeder Aaron Jones
- Plan in Works to Save Suffolk Downs Racing
- Espinoza Suspended for Awesome Again Ride
- Long-Term Vision Possible After Equine Cataract Surgery
- Two-Time GI Winner Strategic Maneuver Dies
- Figures Decline at F-T Midlantic Fall Sale
- Rosalind to Fasig-Tipton November Sale