Tim Hills, Monmouth's leading trainer in 2004, hopes a short van ride from Belmont Park to the New Jersey track helps his grass contender Lojo get untracked.
Kentucky Derby Day is always a big one at Aqueduct, where two stakes will be featured on Saturday, the $150,000 Withers Stakes (g. III) and the $100,000 Beaugay Handicap (gr. IIIT).
Well-traveled Caught in the Rain rallied under jockey Richard Migliore to get a nostril in front in a three-nose win photo to take the $113,000 Athenia Handicap (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares Saturday on the Aqueduct turf at 1 1/16 mile.
Since returning to New York from Florida this spring, Lojo has posted a hard-knocking, three-win campaign with two seconds and a third from seven starts. Throughout the year, the 4-year-old filly has ascended the class ranks from second-level allowances to stakes. Now she is ready to go against stakes company in Saturday's $100,000 Athenia (gr. IIIT), going 1 1/16-miles on the Aqueduct turf.
Most Popular Stories
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- One Liner Laughs Last in Southwest Stakes Victory
- Gun Runner Rolls to Razorback Handicap Victory
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - February 21, 2017
- Classic Empire Out of Fountain of Youth
- Grade 1 Winner Gormley Works Toward Next Start
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Consignors Bullish on Fasig-Tipton Gulfstream Sale
- Zakaroff 48-1 Stunner in El Camino Real Derby