Tim Hills, Monmouth's leading trainer in 2004, hopes a short van ride from Belmont Park to the New Jersey track helps his grass contender Lojo get untracked.
Kentucky Derby Day is always a big one at Aqueduct, where two stakes will be featured on Saturday, the $150,000 Withers Stakes (g. III) and the $100,000 Beaugay Handicap (gr. IIIT).
Well-traveled Caught in the Rain rallied under jockey Richard Migliore to get a nostril in front in a three-nose win photo to take the $113,000 Athenia Handicap (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares Saturday on the Aqueduct turf at 1 1/16 mile.
Since returning to New York from Florida this spring, Lojo has posted a hard-knocking, three-win campaign with two seconds and a third from seven starts. Throughout the year, the 4-year-old filly has ascended the class ranks from second-level allowances to stakes. Now she is ready to go against stakes company in Saturday's $100,000 Athenia (gr. IIIT), going 1 1/16-miles on the Aqueduct turf.
Most Popular Stories
- Breeders' Cup Features 201 Pre-Entered Horses
- California's Golden Eagle Farm Set to Close
- Tapit Filly Tops Record F-T October Sale
- Declaration of War Moving to Ashford Stud
- Queen's Plate Winner Lexie Lou in Autumn Miss
- Early Thoughts on the BC Pre-Entries
- Sherman Sees California Chrome Bouncing Back
- Romansh Tries One Turn in Bold Ruler
- Live Chat - Thursday, October 23 at NOON EST
- Laurie's Rocket to Stand at McDowell Farm