The National Thoroughbred Racing Association's political action committee cleared the $3 million mark, the organization said Aug. 20.
At a time when out-of-state ADW operators are facing mounting criticism from some lawmakers and OTB operators in New York, Churchill Downs Inc. has turned to an influential Albany lobbying firm to represent its interests.
Weeks of lobbying by the horse industry proved successful the evening of Aug. 2, when the United States House of Representatives voted overwhelmingly to remove from the Agriculture Appropriations Act language that could have stymied the movement of horses by cutting off funding for inspections.
The Kentucky Equine Education Alliance on May 5 will officially launch a grassroots effort to educate the public on the importance of the $4-billion horse industry to the state's economy.
The Kentucky racing industry's next chance to win approval for a constitutional amendment on racetrack casinos will come in 2006, the Kentucky Thoroughbred Association said in a letter to members.
- By Ray Paulick
By Ray Paulick -- Kentucky legislators can't learn everything about the horse business in the few weeks that remain before the session deadline to file bills. It requires professional lobbyists, but it also takes commitment from the rank and file.
- By Ray Paulick
By Ray Paulick -- Millions of dollars have been raised, and important legislative battles have been won, including the vote on the Internet bill, as a result of the NTRA's legislative activities.
Alex Waldrop is stepping down as president of Churchill Downs racetrack to fill a new position as the chief lobbying strategist for Churchill Downs Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Ocho Ocho Ocho Cashes Jackpot, Now 3-for-3
- Take Charge Brandi Takes Down Delta Princess
- Honor Code Inhales Allowance Foes in Return
- Three Hearts Breaks Through in Red Carpet
- Sunbean in Hand for Easy Delta Mile Victory
- Sinatra Leaving Parx to Take MJC Position
- Lubash Looks Like a Million in Tropical Turf
- Del Mar Employee Honored for Heroic Action
- Mahoning Valley Opens Inaugural Meet Nov. 24
- Cardinal Handicap Falls to Strike Charmer