Owner Lloyd Williams wins a record-setting fifth Melbourne Cup
Starting for the first time in 10 months, Fawkner fought out a spirited finish in the Makybe Diva Stakes (Aus-I) with Rising Romance to win by a short head Sept. 12 at Flemington.
Sons of Galileo brought the two highest prices at the Inglis Melbourne select racehorse sale, which enjoyed a 99% clearance rate May 23 at the Oaklands sales complex.
Victoria's BMW Caulfield Cup (Aus-I) had been in the plans for Fawkner for nearly a year, and the 6-year-old Reset gelding sprung a long-sought win Oct. 19 for owners Lloyd and Nick Williams.
Green Moon upstaged the two most recent winners of the Emirates Melbourne Cup (Aus-I) when he captured this year's edition of "the race that stops a nation" Nov. 6 at Flemington Racecourse.
Gallic, a horse that has fought enough injuries to fell half of a Kentucky Derby field, won the AUS$800,000 Sydney Cup on the final day of Randwick's fall meeting April 14.
Within minutes, the news switched from a grand Victoria Derby (Aus-I) win on Nov 4 as to whether Efficient would attempt to break a 65-year drought for 3-year-olds in the Melbourne Cup (Aus-I) three days later.
Perlin sounded a warning for the Melbourne Cup (Aust-I) with a wire-to-wire win in the Underwood Stakes (Aus-I) at Caulfield on Sept. 17.
Legible, winner of the 2003 Sandown Classic (Aust-II), sold for Aus$610,000 Wednesday to top the first session of the Magic Millions national mare sale on Australia's Gold Coast.
Most Popular Stories
- After 26 Stakes Wins, Fan Favorite Ben's Cat Retired
- Copper Bullet Out to Build Reputation in Bashford Manor
- New York Discusses Race-Day Lasix Rules
- Hill 'n' Dale Acquires Half Interest in Bubbler
- Fager to Deliver Thoroughbred Owner Conference Keynote
- Industry Groups Ask for Change in Parx Oaks Ruling
- Conrad Bandoroff Joins Denali Stud
- Ward Pleased With Stable's Royal Ascot Performance
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby