Multiple grade I winner Jackson Bend was involved in a mishap the morning of Aug. 18 on the Oklahoma training track at Saratoga Race Course, but appears to have sustained no serious injuries.
Successful Mission parlayed a ground-saving trip into his first graded stakes win, resisting favored Voodoo Swinge in the final strides by a neck in the $125,000 Miami Mile Handicap (gr. IIIT) on turf at Calder.
The Pattison Canadian International (Can-IT) and E.P. Taylor (Can-IT) are the headliners of Woodbine's Oct. 17 card, but not to be forgotten is the $500,000 Nearctic (Can-IIT), a six-furlong turf sprint that offers the winner a chance at the $1-million Breeders' Cup Turf Sprint next month at Santa Anita.
Tea Party Stable's Fabulous Strike, one of the top sprinters in the country, is one of 58 horses nominated for the 37th running of the $200,000 Pennsylvania Governor's Cup on Aug. 1 at Hollywood Casino at Penn National Race Course.
Georgie Boy, last seen winning the Del Mar Futurity (gr. I) in September, is the expected favorite in the $250,000 Sunshine Millions Dash for 3-year-olds at Santa Anita Jan. 26.
A pair of good-looking, homebred colts highlight the $150,000 Iroquois Stakes (gr. III), the first graded event of the Churchill Downs Fall Meet, which opens Oct. 28.
Kodiak Kowboy had more experience than any of his five rivals in the $150,000 Saratoga Special (gr. II). Jockey Shaun Bridgmohan used that to his advantage as he waited patiently to burst between horses en route to a convincing three-length victory in a main track test for 2-year-olds Aug. 16.
Kodiak Kowboy, unbeaten in his last three races, will attempt to add another black-type victory to his resume when he faces six other 2-year-olds in Aug. 16 Saratoga Special (gr. II) at 6 1/2 furlongs at Saratoga.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Headed to Dubai World Cup
- Five Share Fastest Time in Fasig-Tipton Sale Works
- Conquest Mo Money Still Undefeated, Sunland Derby Next
- Prominent Ohio Breeder George Smith Dies at 84
- Finger Lakes Season Could be on Line at Feb. 27 Meeting
- Girvin Upsets Risen Star Stakes
- Unique Bella Tops Roster of 109 Kentucky Oaks Nominees
- Looking East, to Far East, for Classic Starters
- Willy North Returns to Sales Scene at Fasig-Tipton
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death