Multiple grade I winner Jackson Bend was involved in a mishap the morning of Aug. 18 on the Oklahoma training track at Saratoga Race Course, but appears to have sustained no serious injuries.
Successful Mission parlayed a ground-saving trip into his first graded stakes win, resisting favored Voodoo Swinge in the final strides by a neck in the $125,000 Miami Mile Handicap (gr. IIIT) on turf at Calder.
The Pattison Canadian International (Can-IT) and E.P. Taylor (Can-IT) are the headliners of Woodbine's Oct. 17 card, but not to be forgotten is the $500,000 Nearctic (Can-IIT), a six-furlong turf sprint that offers the winner a chance at the $1-million Breeders' Cup Turf Sprint next month at Santa Anita.
Tea Party Stable's Fabulous Strike, one of the top sprinters in the country, is one of 58 horses nominated for the 37th running of the $200,000 Pennsylvania Governor's Cup on Aug. 1 at Hollywood Casino at Penn National Race Course.
Georgie Boy, last seen winning the Del Mar Futurity (gr. I) in September, is the expected favorite in the $250,000 Sunshine Millions Dash for 3-year-olds at Santa Anita Jan. 26.
A pair of good-looking, homebred colts highlight the $150,000 Iroquois Stakes (gr. III), the first graded event of the Churchill Downs Fall Meet, which opens Oct. 28.
Kodiak Kowboy had more experience than any of his five rivals in the $150,000 Saratoga Special (gr. II). Jockey Shaun Bridgmohan used that to his advantage as he waited patiently to burst between horses en route to a convincing three-length victory in a main track test for 2-year-olds Aug. 16.
Kodiak Kowboy, unbeaten in his last three races, will attempt to add another black-type victory to his resume when he faces six other 2-year-olds in Aug. 16 Saratoga Special (gr. II) at 6 1/2 furlongs at Saratoga.
Most Popular Stories
- Archarcharch, Tizway to South Korea
- Better Talk Now Euthanized at Age 18
- After 26 Stakes Wins, Fan Favorite Ben's Cat Retired
- Lights of Medina Leads Pletcher Trio in Mother Goose
- Holy Helena Favored for Queen's Plate
- Curlin's Approval Heads Princess Rooney
- Obituary: Jack Arterburn Spent Life in Racing
- Mott Set for Queen's Plate Debut With Channel Maker
- Get your Scorecard, the Travers Trail Has Begun
- Delta Bluesman Aims to Repeat in Smile Sprint