A high temperature has knocked Bham out of his scheduled start in Saturday's Fountain of Youth Stakes, forcing trainer Todd Pletcher to rethink his plans for next weekend. With Bham out, Pletcher now may run Indy Dancer in the Fountain of Youth rather than the Risen Star at Fair Grounds.
Sky Mesa had his third work toward the Florida Derby; Todd Pletcher counts Bham, Lion Tamer, and Indy Dancer among his charges; plus other workout notes from Florida.
Todd Pletcher, who has three promising Kentucky Derby contenders, will be running all three in different stakes on the weekend of Feb. 15-16.
Chestnut colt, foaled Feb. 28, 2000
Will's Way -- Olympio, by Tippecanoe Creek
Michael Tabor, who has owned such notable Kentucky Derby prospects as Thunder Gulch and Johannesburg, has purchased Lion Tamer from Peachtree Stable for an undisclosed amount.
Patrick Biancone and Fabian Ouaki's grade 1 winner Whywhywhy, who hasn't started since a 10th-place finish in the Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) at Arlington Park Oct. 26, worked an impressive half-mile in :47 1/5, breezing, at Santa Anita Wednesday morning.
Daniel Borislow's Toccet, a contender for an Eclipse Award as champion 2-year-old male of 2002, will make his 3-year-old debut in Gulfstream Park's Fountain of Youth (gr. I) on Feb. 15.
With one winner Friday and four on Saturday, the new Palm Meadows training center in Boynton Beach is off to a fast start at producing winners at Gulfstream Park.
Todd Pletcher fired a pair of early warning shots on the Derby trail Saturday, as he sent out two of his big guns -- Indy Dancer and Lion Tamer -- to impressive victories at Gulfstream Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Lord Nelson Fighting Laminitis, to Miss Breeding Season
- Deal Reached on Pegasus Starting Slot for Gun Runner
- California Chrome's Dubai Win voted Moment of the Year
- A. P. Indy Fires Another Across the Bow
- Two New Sires to California's Milky Way Farm
- NY Proposes Sweeping Equine Drug, Record Rules
- Summer Front's First Foal is a Filly
- Jockey Lane Luzzi Follows in Father's Footsteps
- Untapped Takes First Steps Toward Filling Big Shoes
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm