Sam's Ace, who finished fourth to Barbaro in the 2006 Florida Derby (gr. I), will enter stud next year at Granite Falls Thoroughbred Farm near Granite Falls, Wash.
Favored Valbenny became a leading contender for the American Oaks (gr. IT) this summer after her impressive late charge to capture the $111,600 Senorita Stakes (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-old fillies Saturday over the Hollywood Park grass course.
Irish-bred Valbenny, making her first U.S. start, rallied impressively from tenth in the final quarter under jockey Alex Solis to win the Miesque Stakes (gr. IIIT) on the Hollywood Park turf by three-quarters of a length over favorite Mystic Soul Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Cupid Returns From Layoff to Win Gold Cup
- Lady Eli Digs in to Win Gamely
- Starship Jubilee Much the Best in Nassau Stakes
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Rubilinda Impresses as Frankel’s First US Winner
- Irish War Cry Returns to Worktab; Belmont Run Possible
- Well-Placed Illuminant Shines in Monrovia
- Tapwrit Works Towards Belmont; True Timber Confirmed
- Churchill Completes Rare Guineas Double
- Gormley Works for Possible Belmont Start