A gaming and racing company with interests in Ohio said it believes a 2009 governor's directive for racetracks to install video lottery terminals can move ahead.
LetOhioVote.org said June 28 it has asked the state to remove its referendum on racetrack video lottery terminals from the November ballot, possibly clearing the way for gaming at Ohio's seven racetracks.
Ohio racetracks are considering a push for a 2011 ballot issue that would ask voters to repeal the casino bill recently signed by Democratic Gov. Ted Strickland.
The Ohio Supreme Court unanimously ruled April 30 it's not illegal for Secretary of State Jennifer Brunner to try to determine the parties behind an organization that challenged a 2009 directive on racetrack gaming.
Ohio Secretary of State Jennifer Brunner has ruled LetOhioVote.org submitted petitions containing more than 300,000 valid signatures, which is enough to place the issue of racetrack video lottery terminals on the ballot.
A November 2010 ballot question on racetrack video lottery terminals in Ohio moved a step closer to becoming reality Feb. 8.
Democratic Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland indicated Sept. 21 his administration is preparing to take the "next steps" in the wake of an Ohio Supreme Court ruling that says a statewide referendum is required before the state implements racetrack video lottery terminals.
A document submitted Sept. 1 suggests Penn National Gaming Inc. is underwriting an effort to overturn racetrack video lottery terminals legalized by Democratic Gov. Ted Strickland and the Ohio legislature in July, but the Pennsylvania-based company said the information is false.
Most Popular Stories
- Full Field to Meet Flashback in Malibu
- Swiss Lake Yodeler Solves Soviet Problem
- Mr Speaker Skims to Dania Beach Surprise
- No Jet Lag Can Make Amends in Sir Beaufort
- Sweet Lulu Breaks From Rail in La Brea Clash
- Strapping Groom Much the Best in Gravesend
- Slideshow: A Visit to WinStar Farm
- Baker to Head Operations at Three Chimneys
- Cyber Secret Sets Turfway Mark in Stakes Win
- Elusive Gold Surprises Cape Guineas Field