Jockey Anisete Leon, a veteran jockey from the Dominican Republic, recorded his first U.S. victory March 18 at Golden Gate Fields when he guided Archie T to a three-length victory in the sixth race.
Fantasy Stakes (gr. II) winner Mystic Lady set the pace and held off the late charge of Sir Brian's Sword to win the $100,000 Jersey Derby on Sunday at Monmouth Park. The 3-year-old daughter of Thunder Gulch, racing against males for the first time, completed the 1 1/16 miles in 1:44.31 on a fast main track. Mystic Lady became the second filly to win the Jersey Derby, joining 1998 winner Who Did It and Run.
Edward Evans' homebred Cat's At Home earned his second consecutive graded stakes victory at Aqueduct Saturday, edging pacesetting longshot Top Official in the stretch to earn a half-length win in the $190,000 Excelsior Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. III). Boston Party came home third, 5 1/4 lengths behind Top Official.
Cat's At Home, at almost 14-1, came from off the pace to win Saturday's 73rd running of the $108,200 Westchester Handicap for horses three and older at Aqueduct. In the co-feature, Dat You Miz Blue scored a front-running 7 1/4 length victory as the odds-on favorite in the 22nd running of the $81,125 Broadway Handicap.
Most Popular Stories
- Large Crowd Watches American Pharoah Gallop
- More Than Just a Name for Run for Retts
- Team Texas Red Partners With TV Star
- Badilla Earns Emotional Win at Golden Gate
- Shadwell Sire Bahri Pensioned in England
- American Pharoah Takes Easy Gallop at Spa
- Champion Divine Fortune Dies After Fall
- NBC Schedules Two-Hour Travers Broadcast
- Belmont Winner Palace Malice Retired
- Lubash Takes West Point for Second Time