Graded stakes winners St Averil and Gators N Bears will enter stud in 2006 at Maryland Stallion Station (Don Litz, president) near Glyndon, Md.
A field of six sprinters has drawn for Saturday's $150,000 Aristides Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. III) at Churchill Downs. Run in honor of the first Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner in 1875, graded stakes winners Battle Won, Bwana Charlie, and Gators N Bears head an even half-dozen going six furlongs over the main track.
When Gators N Bears enters the gate for Saturday's $200,000 Maryland Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. III) at Pimlico Race Course, he'll be doing more than defending his 2004 Maryland Breeders' Cup title. He'll be looking for his first win of the year against an evenly matched field of eight runners in the six-furlong race.
Trainer Leo Nechamkin says that win or lose, he'll be getting an early Christmas gift when his Gators N Bears competes in Sunday's $100,000-added Gravesend Handicap (gr. III), the final graded stakes race in New York in 2004.
Laurel Park's Sunday feature, the $75,000 Endless Surprise Stakes, was canceled when only two horses were entered to face local sprinting star Gators N Bears.
The Leo Nechamkin owned and trained Gators N Bears won the $75,000 Hoover Stakes at Laurel Park Saturday, but not without a fight from Michael Gill's entry of Native Heir and My Good Trick.
Chalk players could receive an early Christmas present from trainer Scott Lake, who entered his sensational sprinter Shake You Down in Sunday's $100,000 Gravesend Handicap (gr. III) at six furlongs.
Leo Nechamkin's Gators N Bears turned in a sparkling front-running performance to win the $50,000 Sonny Hine Stakes for 3-year-olds at Laurel Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Dance With Fate Euthanized After Accident
- Untapable Favored in Haskell Against Boys
- Frac Daddy Inherits San Diego's Favorite Role
- Bing Crosby Attracts Goldencents, Declassify
- Ageless May Have Ideal Set-Up in Royal North
- Flashy American Wheels Back for Shuvee 'Cap
- La Verdad True Speed of Honorable Miss at Spa
- Pants On Fire Seeks Monmouth Cup Repeat
- Candy Boy Among 47 West Virginia Derby Noms
- Monmouth-Winning Fillies Target Molly Pitcher