Trainer Rick Violette said Samraat will rejoin his string at the upstate oval. The colt underwent surgery July 25 to repair a stress fracture in his shin. He had been training for the July 26 Jim Dandy.
Dust will be shaken from the records of three old horses heading into the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) this Saturday thanks to New York-bred Samraat and his run in the June 7 classic.
My Meadowview Farm lost the cornerstone of its breeding operation with the death of Noble Causeway, the sire of upcoming Belmont Stakes (gr. I) contender Samraat.
- By Frank Angst
- Racing, Breeding, Triple Crown, Northeast Region, Midwest Region, Southeast Region, Southwest Region, West Region, Kentucky
Likely Kentucky Derby (gr. I) favorite California Chrome will try to become the first California-bred to win the Louisville classic since Decidedly in 1962, but six other Derby hopefuls were also foaled outside of Kentucky.
Undefeated Samraat edged Uncle Sigh March 1 at Aqueduct Racetrack to secure a $500,000 Gotham Stakes (gr. II) victory by a neck; pacesetter In Trouble hung tough another neck back for third.
Several for the Nov. 26 Remsen Stakes (gr. II) at nine furlongs have strong black-type pedigrees. The 2-year-olds may need it--most are pretty light on experience.
Grade I stakes-placed Noble Causeway came through with his first winner when his son Lord Chelsie won at 4 1/2 furlongs at Monmouth Park June 3.
Tracy Farmer's Sun King, winner of both his starts this year including the Tampa Bay Derby, breezed an easy five furlongs in 1:02 4/5 at Churchill Downs Monday in preparation for the April 16 Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I).
Most Popular Stories
- 2015 Florida Derby Race Sequence
- Martin Defends Sending 'Chrome' to Ascot
- HRTV to Air Penn National Gaming Challenge
- Lurie Joins Hoosier Park, Indiana Grand Teams
- Corinthian Colt Paces F-T Texas Sale
- New Horsemen's Incentives at Pimlico Meet
- Ohio Plans to Test Horses for Cobalt Levels
- Lenny's Place: Opening Day Edition
- Carpe Diem Back at Keeneland for Blue Grass
- Fracture Knocks Far From Over Off Derby Trail