The New York Racing Association board of directors March 10 voted to support federal legislation that would grant USADA authority over equine medication and testing.
My Meadowview Farm's homebred Tin Type Gal went from maiden winner in her previous start to grade III winner in the Sept. 27 Miss Grillo Stakes on the grass at Belmont Park.
Trainer Rick Violette said Samraat will rejoin his string at the upstate oval. The colt underwent surgery July 25 to repair a stress fracture in his shin. He had been training for the July 26 Jim Dandy.
Dust will be shaken from the records of three old horses heading into the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) this Saturday thanks to New York-bred Samraat and his run in the June 7 classic.
My Meadowview Farm lost the cornerstone of its breeding operation with the death of Noble Causeway, the sire of upcoming Belmont Stakes (gr. I) contender Samraat.
- By Frank Angst
- Thoroughbred Racing, Thoroughbred Breeding, Triple Crown, Northeast Region, Midwest Region, Southeast Region, Southwest Region, West Region, Kentucky
Likely Kentucky Derby (gr. I) favorite California Chrome will try to become the first California-bred to win the Louisville classic since Decidedly in 1962, but six other Derby hopefuls were also foaled outside of Kentucky.
Undefeated Samraat edged Uncle Sigh March 1 at Aqueduct Racetrack to secure a $500,000 Gotham Stakes (gr. II) victory by a neck; pacesetter In Trouble hung tough another neck back for third.
Several for the Nov. 26 Remsen Stakes (gr. II) at nine furlongs have strong black-type pedigrees. The 2-year-olds may need it--most are pretty light on experience.
Grade I stakes-placed Noble Causeway came through with his first winner when his son Lord Chelsie won at 4 1/2 furlongs at Monmouth Park June 3.
Tracy Farmer's Sun King, winner of both his starts this year including the Tampa Bay Derby, breezed an easy five furlongs in 1:02 4/5 at Churchill Downs Monday in preparation for the April 16 Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I).
Most Popular Stories
- Irish War Cry Solid in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Another Big Finish for McCraken in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Alert Bay Repeats in San Francisco Mile
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby
- Fast and Accurate Works Five Furlongs at Churchill
- Thunder Snow Confirmed for Kentucky Derby
- Fast Work Provides Relief for Girvin's Connections
- Trust in Tammy: Fox Taught J Boys Echo His Lessons Well
- Kitasan Black Dominates in Tenno Sho
- Gormley Puts in Unconventional Final Derby Work