Eclipse Award winner Acclamation was voted California-bred Horse of the Year for 2011 by the California Thoroughbred Breeders Association.
A stallion season telephone auction held Nov. 30 by the California Thoroughbred Breeders' Association raised nearly $50,000, according to the CTBA.
A proposal to create a new license classification for provisional exercise riders is under consideration by the California Horse Racing Board, which is soliciting comments from the public prior to a July 17 public hearing at Del Mar. Written comments, pro or con, must be received by July 14.
Special T Thoroughbreds is being forced to auction off the promising stallion Siberian Summer along with nine mares and four foals because the horses' owner hasn't paid his bills. The sale will be held Sept. 26 at 1 p.m. PDT at the farm.
A Jockey Club investigation found no evidence that mares were bred using artificial insemination at Southern California's Valley Creek Farm.
The Jockey Club has launched an inquiry into whether artificial insemination was used at Valley Creek Farm in California, which is co-owned by Jack Liebau, one of its members. Additionally, the Jockey Club has agreed to conduct a hearing into the fraudulent registration of four Palomino Thoroughbreds.
Calling a backstretch unionization bill filed in the state Assembly a "very real threat to the viability of California's entire Thoroughbred racing industry," the California Thoroughbred Trainers organization is urging its members to actively oppose AB 856 as it works its way through the legislative process this year.
Most Popular Stories
- Phipps, Gaines, Winn Named 2017 Pillars of the Turf
- Classic Empire to Coolmore on Retirement
- Leslie's Lady in Foal to American Pharoah
- Laurel Stakes Schedule Features $1.6 Million in Purses
- Curlin Colt Sets Midlantic Record at $1.5 Million
- Agent O'Neill Bullish on Stallion Orb
- Phipps Family to Receive Inaugural Dinny Phipps Award
- McCraken Back on Work Tab After Derby Disappointment
- Thunder Snow, Churchill Face Off in Irish 2,000 Guineas
- What's Going On Here: The Pay Off