Apprentice jockey Monica Garcia captured her first career race in the opener at Monmouth Park July 12, piloting Lee Lewis' Global Asset to a 3 3/4-length victory in the $10,000 maiden claiming event.
Grade II winner Live Lively, a 3-year-old Medaglia d'Oro filly owned by Lee Lewis, was euthanized May 4 after suffering fractures to both sesamoids in her left foreleg during a morning work at Belmont Park.
Live Lively got the jump on odds-on choice Dreaming of Julia in the $245,000 Davona Dale (gr. II) and never looked back while registering a front-running 1 1/2-length victory in her stakes debut Feb. 23 at Gulfstream Park.
Explosively Fast, a son of Ghostly Moves, brought the top price for a Thoroughbred of $59,500 during the New Mexico-bred Quarter Horse and Thoroughbred yearling sale Aug. 18 at Ruidoso Downs.
Strategic Partner, whose first foals are 2-year-olds, was euthanized Feb. 4 after breaking a leg in a paddock accident at Charlton Ranch near Washington, Okla.
Lee Lewis' homebred Better Now saved ground behind a lively pace, then angled out to draw clear of Capote's Crown for a 3 ½-length victory in the $110,000 Tempted (gr. III) for 2-year-old fillies at a mile Sunday at Belmont Park.
Jockey Pablo Fragoso, under instructions from trainer Mark Hennig to stay close to 4-5 favorite Shake You Down, guided Primary Suspect to victory in the 112th running of the $107,100 Toboggan Handicap (gr. III) at Aqueduct Saturday.
Winstar Farm's Jostle and Lee Lewis' Mystic Lady, a pair of graded stakes winners both making their first starts of the year, top a field of seven in the inaugural running of the $75,000 Banshee Breeze Handicap at Gulfstream Park April 5.
Most Popular Stories
- After Gallop, California Chrome Ready to Go
- Discreet Marq, La Tia Square Off in Matriarch
- Euros Inside and Out After Japan Cup Draw
- Rainha De Bateria Heads Durante at Del Mar
- Blueskiesnrainbows Among 7 for Native Diver
- Chrome to Go for the Green in Hollywood Derby
- Secret Circle, Itsmyluckyday in Cigar Mile
- Churchill Proposes Derby Bet on Winning Sire
- Derby Winners Have Enjoyed Turf Success
- Cary Street Leads 11 in Hawthorne Gold Cup