Before the close of 2016, owner/breeder Ken Ramsey had hoped to see his name among the top three leading breeders in North America.
Six years ago Kenny Troutt's WinStar Farm began implementing a plan to purposefully increase the scope and quality of both its broodmare band and its stallion roster.
History repeated itself in a big way for Frank Stronach. For the second time in his career, the Austrian native earned an Eclipse Award as both outstanding breeder and top owner in the same year. In 2008, his Adena Springs was named best breeder, and his Stronach Stables was chosen top owner.
For the sixth consecutive year, Frank Stronach's Adena Springs tops the list of leading individual breeders in North America by earnings.
Harry T. Mangurian Jr. completed the dispersal of 99% of his breeding stock in 2000. So in 2001, his primary involvement in the Thoroughbred business was that of an interested onlooker. As he watched and tallied, nearly 600 horses bred in his name and that of his Mockingbird Farm raced, won 36 stakes races at 16 different tracks, made more than 4,500 starts, and earned approximately $16.5 million.
If Harry T. Mangurian Jr. subscribes to the theory it's best to go out on top, he is a perfect illustration of those words in action. The leading breeder of 1999 repeated the feat in 2000. Ironically, in 2001 the last of Mangurian's breeding stock will be dispersed, a process he began in October of 1999. Mangurian, 73, put the liquidation in motion in part because he and his wife, Dottie, want to spend more time at their Ft. Lauderdale home, rather than at their Mockingbird Farm near Ocala, Fla.
Most Popular Stories
- Veteran Kentucky-Based Hot Walker Roche Dies at 91
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Baffert Talks 2017 Triple Crown
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Elliott Honored with George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Oscar Performance Targeting Keeneland for Season Debut
- Boat Trip Gets First Foal Times Three
- Three Rules Fires Florida Bullet
- Guest Suite Taking Farish, Howard on Classic Ride