Lawrence the Roman, a 3-year-old son of Point Given who won his first three starts by a combined 25 1/4 lengths, has been retired from racing because of an injured leg.
When outnumbered, retreat. Times are no doubt changing, and with so many leading contenders looking at only two preps before the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), perhaps it is time to loosen our tight grip on the history books and accept the fact that one of these years some horse is going to write its own chapter.
Lawrence the Roman, who had crushed his opposition by nearly 30 combined lengths in three previous starts, gave a severe jolt to the Derby plans of his connections when he beat only one horse in the $70,070 Whirlaway, a race for 3-year-olds won handily by second choice Summer Doldrums Saturday at Aqueduct.
Saturday's a big day for the new connections of Lawrence the Roman, who will leave the gate the favorite in the Whirlaway Stakes.
IEAH Stables will be the managing owner of the 3-year-old Lawrence the Roman when the undefeated colt starts Saturday in the Whirlaway at 1 1/16 miles on the Aqueduct inner track.
Most Popular Stories
- Catch a Glimpse in Good Order After Nassau Scare
- Danzing Candy Wires Lone Star Handicap
- Ashleyluvssugar Wins Second Charles Whittingham
- Twisted Tom Works Toward Belmont Stakes
- Cupid Returns From Layoff to Win Gold Cup
- Souper Tapit Gets Graded Score in Marine Stakes
- Galileo, Coolmore Dominate European Classics
- Lady Eli Digs in to Win Gamely
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Rubilinda Impresses as Frankel’s First US Winner