Lawrence the Roman, a 3-year-old son of Point Given who won his first three starts by a combined 25 1/4 lengths, has been retired from racing because of an injured leg.
When outnumbered, retreat. Times are no doubt changing, and with so many leading contenders looking at only two preps before the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), perhaps it is time to loosen our tight grip on the history books and accept the fact that one of these years some horse is going to write its own chapter.
Lawrence the Roman, who had crushed his opposition by nearly 30 combined lengths in three previous starts, gave a severe jolt to the Derby plans of his connections when he beat only one horse in the $70,070 Whirlaway, a race for 3-year-olds won handily by second choice Summer Doldrums Saturday at Aqueduct.
Saturday's a big day for the new connections of Lawrence the Roman, who will leave the gate the favorite in the Whirlaway Stakes.
IEAH Stables will be the managing owner of the 3-year-old Lawrence the Roman when the undefeated colt starts Saturday in the Whirlaway at 1 1/16 miles on the Aqueduct inner track.
Most Popular Stories
- Competitive Edge Super Sharp in Hopeful Romp
- Miss Serendipity, Blanc Snatch Yellow Ribbon
- Sharp Sensation Edges Ben's Cat in 'Monster
- Fall Meet at Los Alamitos Begins Sept. 5
- Del Mar Trainers to Hop in Bouncey Ball Race
- Ring Weekend at Home on Turf in Saranac Win
- Protonico Surges in Smarty Jones for Pletcher
- Cary Street Rides Rail to Greenwood Surprise
- Haskin: A Day in the Life of Wise Dan
- Munirah Arrives Late for Boiling Springs Win