Lawrence the Roman, a 3-year-old son of Point Given who won his first three starts by a combined 25 1/4 lengths, has been retired from racing because of an injured leg.
When outnumbered, retreat. Times are no doubt changing, and with so many leading contenders looking at only two preps before the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), perhaps it is time to loosen our tight grip on the history books and accept the fact that one of these years some horse is going to write its own chapter.
Lawrence the Roman, who had crushed his opposition by nearly 30 combined lengths in three previous starts, gave a severe jolt to the Derby plans of his connections when he beat only one horse in the $70,070 Whirlaway, a race for 3-year-olds won handily by second choice Summer Doldrums Saturday at Aqueduct.
Saturday's a big day for the new connections of Lawrence the Roman, who will leave the gate the favorite in the Whirlaway Stakes.
IEAH Stables will be the managing owner of the 3-year-old Lawrence the Roman when the undefeated colt starts Saturday in the Whirlaway at 1 1/16 miles on the Aqueduct inner track.
Most Popular Stories
- Mott's BC Fillies are Close to His Heart
- FTBOA Names New Executive Committee, Board
- Longines Named Official Breeders' Cup Partner
- Breeders' Cup 'The Works' Returns to TVG
- Stevens Says He'll Ride in Breeders' Cup
- Handle Down at Challenged Delaware Park Meet
- Canterbury Requests 70 Racing Dates for 2015
- BC Challenge a Lucrative Entry for Starters
- Can Calculator Figure in BC Juvenile?
- Breeders' Cup Features 201 Pre-Entered Horses