Former claiming horse Gunning For became a graded stakes winner Saturday when he held off a determined Rousing Victory for a half-length victory in the $110,100 Lawrence (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds on a yielding Belmont Park turf.
Two weeks after losing champion Crème Fraiche, Brushwood Stable enjoyed a hard-fought victory by Kicken Kris in the $150,000 Lawrence Realization (gr. III) at Belmont Park on Saturday.
Brushwood Stable's Kicken Kris has never been the favorite in his 11-race career, but that is expected to change Saturday as the colt will be around odds-on in the 110th running of the $150,000 Lawrence Realization Handicap (gr. III), a 1 1/2-mile turf race for 3-year-olds.
Last weekend's running of the Lawrence Realization Handicap (gr. IIIT) run at Belmont Park has been downgraded to an ungraded listed race. The downgrade only affects the 2002 running that took place on Oct. 12.
When studying the past performances for Saturday's grade III, $150,000 Lawrence Realization for 3-year-olds at 1 1/2 miles on the turf, handicappers will have a difficult task trying to separate Chiselling, Finality, and Irish Colonial, the top three finishers from the Lexington over the summer.
A field of 14 3-year-olds has been entered in the $150,000 Lawrence Realization Handicap (gr. IIIT) Sunday at Belmont Park, with 123-pound highweight Ciro drawing the inside post for the 1 1/2-mile turf race.
Most Popular Stories
- Uncontested Romp in Smarty Jones
- First Foal by Palace Malice Born
- Classic Empire Aims for Season Debut in Holy Bull
- Zayat, Romans Want to See Prayer for Relief in Pegasus
- Zito Saddles 2,000th Winner
- Arrogate Sails Through Penultimate Work for Pegasus Cup
- Green Gratto Grinds Out Toboggan Win
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- Grade 1 Winner Bradester to Stud at Valor Farm
- Prize Exhibit Sweeps by in Megahertz