Thomas Heard Jr., who trained Thoroughbreds for more than 70 years -- many of those in South Florida -- passed away at the age of 93 in Texas on Aug. 4.
TVG will present live coverage of tomorrow's 11th annual Calder "Festival of the Sun" from Calder Race Course in Miami.
The highlights of Saturday's Festival of the Sun program at Calder, with nine stakes races worth $1.65 million, will take place when 2-year-olds Lawbook and Ivanavinalot lead the fields for the $400,000 In Reality and $400,000 My Dear Girl divisions of the Florida Stallion Stakes.
The complexion of the Affirmed Division of the Florida Stallion Stakes Saturday at Calder Race course changed somewhat when the 4-to-5 favorite, Trust N Luck, wheeled badly coming out of the starting gate and unseated his rider, Gary Boulanger.
Both the Dr. Fager and Desert Vixen first-round Florida Stallion Stakes divisions for 2-year-olds at Calder Race Course produced mild upsets of favorites and round two comes Saturday in the $125,000 Affirmed and $125,000 Susan's Girl divisions at seven furlongs.
Most Popular Stories
- Lukas Drops by to See Old Friend Charismatic
- Rockridge's Posse Will Not Return to U.S.
- Lemon Drop Kid an Emerging Broodmare Sire
- U S Officer, Cool Arrow Set for Springboard
- Miss Temple City Scores Matriarch by a Nose
- Trainer Davis Looks Forward to More Success
- Santa Anita Moves American Oaks to Dec. 31
- Northwest Stud Announces 2017 Stud Fees
- Laoban Works Toward Return
- Track Maintenance Internships Being Offered