Lines of Battle held off a tenacious Elleval to win the UAE Derby (UAE-II) at Meydan Racecourse March 30, earning 100 points toward a probable start in the May 4 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I).
Taking a big step up in class, British-based Law Enforcement broke through for his first stakes win at the highest level on Oct. 13 in the Gran Criterium (Ity-I) at San Siro Racecourse in Milan.
Rachel Alexandra's attempt against older males has given the Woodward (gr. I) all the headlines, but Saratoga's other grade I race on Sept. 5--the $300,000 Forego Stakes--is no slouch. The seven-furlong sprint drew a solid field of a 12, including the morning-line favorite, Kodiak Kowboy.
Vinery Stables' Lantana Mob looks for his fourth victory as a juvenile when a field of 10 line up for the $250,000 Favorite Trick Breeders' Cup Stakes at Monmouth Park Oct. 26.
The 45th renewal of the New York Breeders' Futurity, set to be held Oct. 6 at Finger Lakes Racetrack, offers the largest purse in the history of the Western New York track with $269,200 available to New York-bred 2-year-olds sprinting six furlongs over the dirt.
All 100,000-plus fans at this year's Kentucky Derby will be screened with magnetic wands when they enter Churchill Downs under beefed-up security in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.
Most Popular Stories
- LoPresti Unfazed by Slow Move from Wise Dan
- Ami's Holiday Leads Prince of Wales Lineup
- Little Alexis Set for Test After Bullet Move
- Dance With Fate Euthanized After Accident
- Keeneland Dirt Installation July 21, 2014
- Saratoga to Hold 'Low Roller' Tourney Monday
- Untapable Favored in Haskell Against Boys
- EquiLottery Touts Horsemen Group's Support
- Paul Messara New Manager at Arrowfield Stud
- Next Year's OBSC March to be Open Format