While the topics at this year's Saratoga Institute on Racing and Gaming Law were similar to those at other industry meetings this summer, the tenor of the presentations and perspectives of the panelists were not.
A decision on whether to call a special legislative session -- one that could include alternative gaming and relief for the horse industry -- will be made in a few weeks, Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear said April 29.
An attorney specializing in estate planning says now is a good time for horsemen and others to establish tax-friendly programs that pass along assets to descendants -- but warned that time was of the essence in organizing such efforts.
Stymied in recent efforts to enter the New York racing market, Magna Entertainment is still highly interested in moving its way into the lucrative betting state, the company's president said Aug. 6.
Most Popular Stories
- Jockey Rosie Napravnik Announces Retirement
- Tapit Shatters Single-Season Earnings Mark
- Untapable Powers to Breeders' Cup Distaff Win
- Goldencents Posts Repeat in Dirt Mile
- Weanling Daughter of Champion Zenyatta Dies
- Lady Eli Sharp in Juvenile Fillies Turf
- Hootenanny Rallies to Win Juvenile Turf
- BC 2014: Friday News Wrap
- Bob Neumeier Hospitalized After a Stroke
- BC 2014: Rosie Napravnik On Her Retirement