Cape Blanco shipped across the pond from Ireland for third time to collect a grade I victory, barely outlasting a determined Dean's Kitten by a nose in the $500,000 Joe Hirsch Turf Classic Invitational (gr. IT) Oct. 1.
A yielding turf was just fine with favored Cape Blanco, who registered his second straight grade I score on North American turf in style for Irish trainer Aidan O'Brien in the Arlington Million (gr. IT) Aug. 13.
Cape Blanco took the lead from the start and never looked back, pulling away in the stretch to capture the Tattersalls Millions Irish Champion Stakes (Ire-I) by 5 1/2 lengths at Leopardstown Sept. 4.
Aidan O'Brien-trained runners finished one-two-three as Cape Blanco held off stablemate Midas Touch by a half-length to capture the Dubai Duty Free Irish Derby (Ire-I) at the Curragh June 27.
Most Popular Stories
- Maiden No More, Laoban Stuns Jim Dandy Rivals
- A. P. Indian Outduels Holy Boss in Vanderbilt
- Flintshire Scores in Eventful Bowling Green
- Lexie Lou Goes Wire to Wire in Victoriana
- Seeking the Gold Dies at 31
- Pennsylvania Sanctions Trainer Preciado
- Minding Overcomes Trouble for Nassau Win
- Mind Your Biscuits Takes Amsterdam
- China Group to Build Caribbean Resort, Track
- Little Mike Retired to Old Friends