Eight older horses will line up for recognition in Saturday's Arlington Handicap (gr. IIIT) over the lawn at the Chicago racetrack. Highweighted Cool Conductor, fourth in the July 2 United Nations Handicap (gr. IT) at Monmouth, carries a top impost of 120 pounds, but the Bobby Frankel-trained Cal-invader Vangelis--looking for his first North American stakes win--is the 2-1 morning line favorite.
In a work her trainer said she can set her stopwatch by, Horse of the Year Azeri clicked off a half-mile in 47 2/5 seconds Monday morning at San Luis Rey Downs in her final serious work for Sunday's grade II, $300,000 Clement L. Hirsch Handicap at Del Mar.
Horse of the Year Azeri drilled four furlongs in :47 flat Saturday morning at San Luis Rey Downs, the first work for the 5-year-old daughter of Jade Hunter since she won the Breeders' Cup Distaff (gr. I) last Oct. 26 at Arlington Park.
The decision by Kent Desormeaux to move his tack to Keeneland for the 15-day meet that runs April 4-25 was not made in haste.
Horse of the Year Azeri is scheduled to make her 5-year-old debut in the $500,000 Apple Blossom Handicap (gr. I) at Oaklawn Park on April 5.
The volcanic relationship between the son of deceased multi-millionaire Allen E. Paulson and his stepmother figures to erupt in California Superior Court in northern San Diego County later this year.
Most Popular Stories
- The Big Beast Sharp in Winning Return
- Daredevil Still Ready for Rescheduled Swale
- Rebel Still Possibilty for Take Charge Brandi
- The Great War No Longer Pursuing Derby
- Far From Over Interest Sold, Wood Next
- Dortmund, Lord Nelson Set for San Felipe
- El Kabeir Breezes for Gotham
- Cavalryman Dies After Injury at Meydan
- Gulfstream Announces Summer Stakes Program
- French Group I Winner Creator Dies at 29