Five 3-year-olds are pointing to the $750,000 Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) on April 3, with three others awaiting developments this weekend before a decision is made.
Juvenile champion Action This Day heads a field of 11 3-year-olds in the $250,000 San Felipe Stakes (gr. II) Sunday at Santa Anita.
Jockey David Flores expects significant improvement from Action This Day when he rides the champion 2-year-old colt of 2003 in Sunday's $250,000 San Felipe Stakes at 1 1/16 miles.
Making his stakes debut, Lorraine and Rod Rodriguez's undefeated Hosco pulled his way to the front soon after the start and stayed there, winning the $108,100 San Miguel Stakes (gr. III) for 3-year-olds going six furlongs at Santa Anita Sunday.
This is the 11th in a series of early looks and next year's potential Kentucky Derby horses. The market is heating up for young, unproven colts, while new talent is unveiled at Hollywood Park and Fair Grounds.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Hence Springs Upset in Sunland Derby
- Dortmund Back to Dirt in Next Start
- Undefeated Ghalia Takes Sunland Park Oaks
- Girvin Heads Louisiana Derby Field
- Fast and Accurate Scores Spiral Upset
- Fear the Cowboy Takes Skip Away in Late Drive
- Farrell Poised for Next Test in Fair Grounds Oaks
- Thunder Snow Gets Up in UAE Derby
- Mind Your Biscuits Rises to Occasion in Golden Shaheen