Five 3-year-olds are pointing to the $750,000 Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) on April 3, with three others awaiting developments this weekend before a decision is made.
Juvenile champion Action This Day heads a field of 11 3-year-olds in the $250,000 San Felipe Stakes (gr. II) Sunday at Santa Anita.
Jockey David Flores expects significant improvement from Action This Day when he rides the champion 2-year-old colt of 2003 in Sunday's $250,000 San Felipe Stakes at 1 1/16 miles.
Making his stakes debut, Lorraine and Rod Rodriguez's undefeated Hosco pulled his way to the front soon after the start and stayed there, winning the $108,100 San Miguel Stakes (gr. III) for 3-year-olds going six furlongs at Santa Anita Sunday.
This is the 11th in a series of early looks and next year's potential Kentucky Derby horses. The market is heating up for young, unproven colts, while new talent is unveiled at Hollywood Park and Fair Grounds.
Most Popular Stories
- Relieving Laminitis Pain in the Field
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win