Point Given has a scare in workout; D'Wildcat will go to Florida for the Swale; Early Flyer is likely to contest the San Rafael; Lasersport has fractured knee.
Trainer Bob Hess Jr. is hoping Fog City Stable's D'wildcat can approximate his last performance when he meets unbeaten Lasersport Saturday in the $150,000 San Vicente Stakes for 3-year-olds at seven furlongs. D'wildcat smoked a maiden allowance field in his second career start Jan. 6 in a six-furlong time of 1:08.76, only four ticks off the track record. D'wildcat breezed four furlongs in :49.20 Tuesday in his final San Vicente tuneup.
In the $107,500 San Miguel Stakes for 3-year-olds at Santa Anita on Saturday, 8-5 favorite Lasersport remained undefeated with a two-length victory over Early Flyer in 1:08 3/5 for six furlongs. By 1992 champion juvenile Gilded Time, Lasersport won his first two starts in Kentucky late last year and then was purchased privately by Bill Herrick and sent to trainer Darrell Vienna at Santa Anita.
Making his seasonal debut in the Jan. 13 San Fernando, 2000 Breeders' Cup Classic winnerTiznow beat Walkslikeaduck by 1 1/4 lengths in 1:42.05 as Wooden Phone held on for third. It was not the blowout most expected a potential Horse of the Year to serve up in his 4-year-old debut. For those clutching tickets at 3-10, the final margin was way too close for comfort. But considering the recent interruptions and the chore of sating a high-maintenance competitor, Robbins was satisfied--and thoroughly relieved.
Most Popular Stories
- Jockey Rosie Napravnik Announces Retirement
- Tapit Shatters Single-Season Earnings Mark
- Untapable Powers to Breeders' Cup Distaff Win
- Goldencents Posts Repeat in Dirt Mile
- Weanling Daughter of Champion Zenyatta Dies
- Lady Eli Sharp in Juvenile Fillies Turf
- Hootenanny Rallies to Win Juvenile Turf
- BC 2014: Friday News Wrap
- Bob Neumeier Hospitalized After a Stroke
- BC 2014: Rosie Napravnik On Her Retirement