Top filly Evening Jewel, facing possible retirement beforehand, posted a thrilling come-from-behind victory in the $300,000 Sunshine Millions Distaff Jan. 29 at Santa Anita that seems to have put those considerations aside.
Making her turf debut, odds-on favorite Evening Jewel sailed to an easy lead and held off a late charge from Cozi Rosie to win the $150,000 Honeymoon Handicap (gr. IIT) by a head May 31 at Hollywood Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Stradivari Sustains Career-Ending Injury
- Enola Gray Still Unbeaten After Del Mar Romp
- 7-Year-Old Gelding Wins First Start at Ellis
- Blame Angel Wins a Day After Trainer's Death
- Ancient Secret Scores in Lake George
- After 35 Years, Jockey Joe Steiner Retires
- Sweet Loretta Powers to Schuylerville Win
- Songbird Logs First Gallop at Saratoga
- McCarthy, Trainer of General Quarters, Dies
- Songbird Adds Star Power to Sunday's CCA Oaks