Le Mi Geaux came from off the pace under Freddie Lenclud to pull a 9-1 upset in the $100,000 Schuylerville (gr. III), the first graded stakes of the Saratoga meet. She is the first stakes winner for her sire First Samurai.
Bruce Lunsford and Lansdon Robbins III's multiple graded stake winner First Samurai was discovered Wednesday to have two broken ribs likely suffered when struck by the starting gate at the outset of the April 15 Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I) at Keeneland.
Grade I winner First Samurai will stand at the Hancock family's Claiborne Farm near Paris, Ky., following his retirement from racing.
Saturday's Fountain of Youth Stakes (gr. II) at Gulfstream Park will mark the first time First Samurai has traveled two turns and has gone 1 1/8 miles, but neither factor has trainer Frankie Brothers too concerned.
One of the most exciting horses scheduled to run in the Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships on Oct. 29 is First Samurai. Undefeated in four races, the son of Giant's Causeway is his division's leader heading into the Bessemer Trust Juvenile (gr. I).
First Samurai, an impressive 2-year-old allowance winner Aug. 7, breezed four furlongs in :47 2/5 over the main track Friday morning with Hall of Fame jockey Jerry Bailey aboard. The son of Giant's Causeway will make his next start in the Hopeful (gr. I), going seven furlongs on the Travers (gr. I) undercard Aug. 27.
Offlee Wild took the lead rounding the far turn and then continued on gamely to win Saturday's $500,000 Suburban Handicap (gr. I) at Belmont Park by 1 1/4 lengths over 26-1 longshot Tap Day.
U.S. owner Lansdon Robbins paid 105,000 Euros for a yearling filly by Vettori to top Tuesday's session of the August Yearling sale conducted by Agence Francaise in Deauville, France.
Most Popular Stories
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Gun Runner Rolls to Razorback Handicap Victory
- One Liner Laughs Last in Southwest Stakes Victory
- Classic Empire Out of Fountain of Youth
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Grade 1 Winner Gormley Works Toward Next Start
- Consignors Bullish on Fasig-Tipton Gulfstream Sale
- Zakaroff 48-1 Stunner in El Camino Real Derby
- Epicharis Earns Japan's Kentucky Derby Bid