The decision by the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission to grant racing dates to Churchill Downs for the month of September paid off, with total handle more than double the 16-day meet at Turfway Park in September 2012.
Despite a closing Labor Day weekend that saw the aftermath of Hurricane Isaac inundate western Kentucky with a deluge of rain, Ellis Park concluded its 29-day meet with increases in attendance and handle.
Favored Gouldings Green won a stretch battle with Wild Desert to beat last year's Queen's Plate winner in the $114,500 Alysheba Friday at Churchill Downs.
Jockey Corey Lanerie won two races on Saturday's card at Fair Grounds to reach 2,000 wins in his 13-year riding career.
Posse, closing ground with every stride, got by odds-on favorite Midas Eyes at the wire to take the Riva Ridge Breeders' Cup (gr. II) at Belmont Park Saturday. The 3-year-old Silver Deputy colt covered the seven furlongs over a sloppy track in a good 1:22.03.
Jockey John Velazquez was voted into the NTRA All-Star Jockey Championship to be held at Lone Star Park June 21 in an online poll conducted by ntra.com.
Parade Leader, unable to live up to his potential on grass, showed his main track route ability in the New Orleans Handicap.
Lakenheath rallied furiously on the far outside to nip Morning Sun by a nose in Saturday's Grade III $125,000 Silverbulletday Stakes at Fair Grounds.
Most Popular Stories
- Swipe at Belmont Preparing for His Return
- Creator Works, Set for Trip to New York
- Exaggerator Gallops Lap Around Belmont Track
- Untapable Prepares for Start in Fleur de Lis
- Suddenbreakingnews Now 'Official Ridgling'
- The Art of Exaggerator's Stud Deal
- Belterra Stakes Dead Heat Follows Churchill
- Magic Millions Weanling Sale Sets Records
- Exaggerator Arrives at Belmont Park
- Songbird Works at Santa Anita, Target Unknown