The decision by the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission to grant racing dates to Churchill Downs for the month of September paid off, with total handle more than double the 16-day meet at Turfway Park in September 2012.
Despite a closing Labor Day weekend that saw the aftermath of Hurricane Isaac inundate western Kentucky with a deluge of rain, Ellis Park concluded its 29-day meet with increases in attendance and handle.
Favored Gouldings Green won a stretch battle with Wild Desert to beat last year's Queen's Plate winner in the $114,500 Alysheba Friday at Churchill Downs.
Jockey Corey Lanerie won two races on Saturday's card at Fair Grounds to reach 2,000 wins in his 13-year riding career.
Posse, closing ground with every stride, got by odds-on favorite Midas Eyes at the wire to take the Riva Ridge Breeders' Cup (gr. II) at Belmont Park Saturday. The 3-year-old Silver Deputy colt covered the seven furlongs over a sloppy track in a good 1:22.03.
Jockey John Velazquez was voted into the NTRA All-Star Jockey Championship to be held at Lone Star Park June 21 in an online poll conducted by ntra.com.
Parade Leader, unable to live up to his potential on grass, showed his main track route ability in the New Orleans Handicap.
Lakenheath rallied furiously on the far outside to nip Morning Sun by a nose in Saturday's Grade III $125,000 Silverbulletday Stakes at Fair Grounds.
Most Popular Stories
- LoPresti Unfazed by Slow Move from Wise Dan
- Ami's Holiday Leads Prince of Wales Lineup
- Little Alexis Set for Test After Bullet Move
- Dance With Fate Euthanized After Accident
- Keeneland Dirt Installation July 21, 2014
- Saratoga to Hold 'Low Roller' Tourney Monday
- Untapable Favored in Haskell Against Boys
- EquiLottery Touts Horsemen Group's Support
- Paul Messara New Manager at Arrowfield Stud
- Next Year's OBSC March to be Open Format