The decision by the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission to grant racing dates to Churchill Downs for the month of September paid off, with total handle more than double the 16-day meet at Turfway Park in September 2012.
Despite a closing Labor Day weekend that saw the aftermath of Hurricane Isaac inundate western Kentucky with a deluge of rain, Ellis Park concluded its 29-day meet with increases in attendance and handle.
Favored Gouldings Green won a stretch battle with Wild Desert to beat last year's Queen's Plate winner in the $114,500 Alysheba Friday at Churchill Downs.
Jockey Corey Lanerie won two races on Saturday's card at Fair Grounds to reach 2,000 wins in his 13-year riding career.
Posse, closing ground with every stride, got by odds-on favorite Midas Eyes at the wire to take the Riva Ridge Breeders' Cup (gr. II) at Belmont Park Saturday. The 3-year-old Silver Deputy colt covered the seven furlongs over a sloppy track in a good 1:22.03.
Jockey John Velazquez was voted into the NTRA All-Star Jockey Championship to be held at Lone Star Park June 21 in an online poll conducted by ntra.com.
Parade Leader, unable to live up to his potential on grass, showed his main track route ability in the New Orleans Handicap.
Lakenheath rallied furiously on the far outside to nip Morning Sun by a nose in Saturday's Grade III $125,000 Silverbulletday Stakes at Fair Grounds.
Most Popular Stories
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Casse Duo Set for Queen's Plate Run
- Neolithic Back Galloping After Respiratory Illness
- Litfin at Large: Class Horses Figure in Ohio Derby
- Kentucky Derby Starters Reunite in Ohio Derby
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture
- Untrapped Aims for First Stakes win in Ohio Derby
- Disco Rico and His Record-Setting Son Disco Partner
- Lady Aurelia Overpowers Males in King's Stand