When Alexandra Jara traveled to South Florida in 2007 and watched her older brother Fernando win the Donn Handicap (gr. I) aboard Horse of the Year Invasor at Gulfstream Park, she dreamed of someday doing the same.
Alexandra Jara, the 23-year-old sister of 2006 Belmont Stakes (gr. I)-winning jockey Fernando Jara, is set to make her riding debut on Dec. 8 at Hipodromo Presidente Remon in Juan Diaz, Panama.
The Coa family riding tradition will continue this winter when jockey Kieber Coa begins his apprentice career in the United States. Coa, 19, is the son of journeyman Eibar Coa.
Most Popular Stories
- Stellar Wind 7-2 Choice for Oaks
- Wise Dan Back to Jogging on Track
- El Kabeir Walks Shedrow, Dortmund Gallops
- Delaware Horse Racing Boosts State Economy
- Oxley Hopes Danzig Moon Follows Monarchos
- Haskin: Carpe Diem, Mubtaahij Test the Track
- American Pharoah Forges Way to Zayat's Heart
- Kentucky Derby News Update: April 28, 2015
- Nader Leaving Hong Kong, Will Return to U.S.
- California Chrome Will Skip Lockinge Stakes