When Alexandra Jara traveled to South Florida in 2007 and watched her older brother Fernando win the Donn Handicap (gr. I) aboard Horse of the Year Invasor at Gulfstream Park, she dreamed of someday doing the same.
Alexandra Jara, the 23-year-old sister of 2006 Belmont Stakes (gr. I)-winning jockey Fernando Jara, is set to make her riding debut on Dec. 8 at Hipodromo Presidente Remon in Juan Diaz, Panama.
The Coa family riding tradition will continue this winter when jockey Kieber Coa begins his apprentice career in the United States. Coa, 19, is the son of journeyman Eibar Coa.
Most Popular Stories
- Dissident, I Do Win in Australia, New Zealand
- Durkin Nears Finish Line of Brilliant Career
- Officials Examining Horse Deaths at Saratoga
- Stallion Oxbow to Stand at Calumet in 2015
- California Chrome Progressing Toward PA Derby
- Competitive Group Entered for Smarty Jones
- Lemon Drop Kid: A Class Act
- Goldencents vs. Wise Dan Showdown Likely
- Knee Surgery to Sideline Kid Cruz for Year
- Hollendorfer Duo Part of Even Yellow Ribbon