When Alexandra Jara traveled to South Florida in 2007 and watched her older brother Fernando win the Donn Handicap (gr. I) aboard Horse of the Year Invasor at Gulfstream Park, she dreamed of someday doing the same.
Alexandra Jara, the 23-year-old sister of 2006 Belmont Stakes (gr. I)-winning jockey Fernando Jara, is set to make her riding debut on Dec. 8 at Hipodromo Presidente Remon in Juan Diaz, Panama.
The Coa family riding tradition will continue this winter when jockey Kieber Coa begins his apprentice career in the United States. Coa, 19, is the son of journeyman Eibar Coa.
Most Popular Stories
- Rachel's Valentina Returns in Mother Goose
- Borells Charged With Animal Cruelty
- American Freedom Clear Winner in Iowa Derby
- As Borell Released, Cruelty Laws Questioned
- Relief Comes to Abandoned Horses in Kentucky
- Top Caribbean Race to Be Held at Gulfstream
- Probe Into Abandoned Horses Continues
- Wake Forest Heads United Nations
- Globetrotting Tepin Preps for Saratoga Ship
- The Paralyzed Jockey Who's Still in the Race