When Alexandra Jara traveled to South Florida in 2007 and watched her older brother Fernando win the Donn Handicap (gr. I) aboard Horse of the Year Invasor at Gulfstream Park, she dreamed of someday doing the same.
Alexandra Jara, the 23-year-old sister of 2006 Belmont Stakes (gr. I)-winning jockey Fernando Jara, is set to make her riding debut on Dec. 8 at Hipodromo Presidente Remon in Juan Diaz, Panama.
The Coa family riding tradition will continue this winter when jockey Kieber Coa begins his apprentice career in the United States. Coa, 19, is the son of journeyman Eibar Coa.
Most Popular Stories
- Final Breeders' Cup Board Seats Filled
- Filly Taghrooda Takes Aim at Ascot History
- TOBA Schedules Events in Saratoga Springs
- Queen's Horse Tests Positive for Morphine
- Prominent Owner Borislow Dies at Age 52
- OBS Fall Sale to Include Horses of Racing Age
- Risk Factors for EIPH in Australian Racehorses Studied
- Tonalist Begins Push for Eclipse Award
- Jerkens Aims for 'Wicked Strong' Saratoga
- Sky Kingdom Returns to 1 1/2 Miles in Cougar