When Alexandra Jara traveled to South Florida in 2007 and watched her older brother Fernando win the Donn Handicap (gr. I) aboard Horse of the Year Invasor at Gulfstream Park, she dreamed of someday doing the same.
Alexandra Jara, the 23-year-old sister of 2006 Belmont Stakes (gr. I)-winning jockey Fernando Jara, is set to make her riding debut on Dec. 8 at Hipodromo Presidente Remon in Juan Diaz, Panama.
The Coa family riding tradition will continue this winter when jockey Kieber Coa begins his apprentice career in the United States. Coa, 19, is the son of journeyman Eibar Coa.
Most Popular Stories
- Commentary: Permeating Speed is a Problem
- Bolo Thrives in Return to Turf at Santa Anita
- American Pharoah Schools, Back to Galloping
- Materiality, Frosted Drill Toward Belmont
- Zenyatta in Foal to War Front Again
- The Truth Or Else Joins Belmont Stakes Mix
- Son Wins 'Lopez Battle' at Golden Gate Fields
- Blood-Horse Unveils Multimedia Tablet Edition
- Bill Puts USADA in Charge of Drug Testing
- Smooth Stride Could Lift American Pharoah