On Nov. 4, Charles Fipke's persistence paid off as his homebred 4-year-old filly Perfect Shirl gave the Canadian prospector a paydirt of a different kind: a win in the Emirates Airline Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf.
Daughter of Perfect Soul holds of European challengers to win her first race of the year.
Charles Fipke's homebred Perfect Shirl, a maiden when the summer began, notched her third consecutive win and made a successful stakes debut when taking the Lake George (gr. IIT) for 3-year-old fillies July 28 at Saratoga.
Any starter who makes it to the 2007 Breeders' Cup World Championships at Monmouth Park is an extraordinary story. But with all due respect to the rest of the starters, none makes a better fairy tale than Shakespeare, who has returned from a near career-ending injury to become one of favorites for the $2 million NetJets Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) Oct. 27.
Most Popular Stories
- Pressure Off Sherman After 'Chrome's Dazzler
- Judy the Beauty Looks Splendid in Las Flores
- Ramseys' Major Marvel Takes Barbados Gold Cup
- Honor Code Gets Tightener for Seasonal Debut
- Santa Anita Handicap Handle Increases 23%
- Game On Dude Captures Record Third Big 'Cap
- Florida Derby Card to Receive Purse Incentive
- Hernandez Reaches 1,000th Victory Milestone
- Featured Horse Profile: Palace Malice
- California Chrome Shines Again in San Felipe