On Nov. 4, Charles Fipke's persistence paid off as his homebred 4-year-old filly Perfect Shirl gave the Canadian prospector a paydirt of a different kind: a win in the Emirates Airline Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf.
Daughter of Perfect Soul holds of European challengers to win her first race of the year.
Charles Fipke's homebred Perfect Shirl, a maiden when the summer began, notched her third consecutive win and made a successful stakes debut when taking the Lake George (gr. IIT) for 3-year-old fillies July 28 at Saratoga.
Any starter who makes it to the 2007 Breeders' Cup World Championships at Monmouth Park is an extraordinary story. But with all due respect to the rest of the starters, none makes a better fairy tale than Shakespeare, who has returned from a near career-ending injury to become one of favorites for the $2 million NetJets Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) Oct. 27.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Logs Weekly Drill at Los Al
- Harzand Completes Derby Double at Curragh
- Tepin Makes Stop at Belmont Park
- Jockey Hill Guides in 1,000th Winner
- Arrogate Impresses at Santa Anita
- How a Sire Line Develops
- Far From Over Victorious in Return
- Exclusive Contest: Name the White-Headed Foal
- Fairplex, Santa Anita House Evacuated Horses
- Phantom Dollars Flood Track's Double Pool