Lady Joanne, with John McKee in the irons, challenged heavily favored Change Up on the backstretch and dueled with that rival into deep stretch before she pulled away to score a 1 1/4-length victory in the 63rd-running of the $224,600, grade II Golden Rod for 2-year-old fillies at Churchill Downs.
Saturday's $200,000-added Golden Rod Stakes (gr. II) for 2-year-old fillies at Churchill Downs will pit father against son as veteran trainer Bernie Flint will saddle Mike Rutherford's Cohiba Miss in a bid to upset Richard, Elaine, and Bert Klein's Change Up, trained by his son, Steve.
Most Popular Stories
- Katie's Kiss First Winner for Kantharos
- No Lasix for Social Inclusion in Haskell
- Samraat Headed Back to Saratoga After Surgery
- Taghrooda Flies to King George Triumph
- Trainer, Jock Team for South African Double
- Keeneland's Historical Racing Plans Delayed
- Dance With Fate's Exercise Rider Has Surgery
- Irish Surf Runs Away in Cougar II Marathon
- Dance With Fate Euthanized After Accident
- Whitney Card's Grade I Races Taking Shape