Bred for stamina top and bottom, Montjeu never would have had a chance had he stood in North America. But Europe is a different world in Thoroughbred breeding.
Frankie Dettori led all the way on favorite Scorpion to win the $828,000 St. Leger Stakes (Eng-I), the world's oldest classic, on Saturday for the third time.
Scorpion heads a field of seven for Saturday's group I Ladbrokes St. Leger Stakes at Doncaster Race Course. This will be the smallest field to face the starter since 1992, when the great filly User Friendly defeated six rivals.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Apprentice Courtney Hernandez Gets First Win
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice