The British Jockey Club has reacted with disbelief to the claim of Chris Bell of the Ladbrokes bookmaking firm that at least one race a day in Britain is fixed. Bell made his point in an interview with BBC2 Television's "The Money Program," which is set to be broadcast on Tuesday, June 1.
Magna Entertainment Corp. said it would pay a racetrack partner in its new XpressBet account wagering system up to 60% of the takeout if the bet is placed with a 25-mile radius of that track.
Magna Entertainment has completed a deal to acquire an account wagering system, The Meadows harness track, four off-track betting parlors, and an 18% interest in The Racing Network for $53 million in cash, stock, and a promissory note.
Magna Entertainment, the racetrack company chaired by owner-breeder Frank Stronach, reported Monday a net loss of $9.2 million during the fourth quarter of 2000. For the year, the company reported net income of $441,000 on revenue of $413.6 million. The fiscal year profit was a reversal from 2000, when Magna posted a $62,000 loss; the 2000 fourth quarter loss was $3-million.
Magna Entertainment, the growing racetrack company run by Frank Stronach, has entered into an agreement with Ladbroke Racing and a subsidiary to purchase Ladbroke's Pennsylvania-based account wagering system ("Call-A-Bet"), the Meadows harness track, and four off-track betting facilities, plus an interest in the Racing Network satellite TV channel.
Youbet.com, the interactive pari-mutuel wagering network that has seen its stock price plummet this week amid a restructuring, has been dealt a setback by regulators in New Jersey.
Most Popular Stories
- Lady Eli Sparkles in Belmont Oaks
- Gimme Da Lute Holds On in Los Alamitos Derby
- American Pharoah to Haskell
- Effinex Outlasts Tonalist at Wire in Suburban
- Alliseeisgold Wires Cleveland Gold Cup
- Force the Pass Brilliant in Belmont Derby
- Private Zone All the Way in Belmont Sprint
- No Positives in June 2015 Economic Indicators
- Speightster Still Undefeated With Dwyer Win
- Coffee Clique Proves Best in James Penny