California Gov. Gray Davis signed Assembly Bill 471 into law on Aug. 13, authorizing advance deposit wagering and including provisions that will allow backstretch workers to organize for collective bargaining purposes.
Calling a backstretch unionization bill filed in the state Assembly a "very real threat to the viability of California's entire Thoroughbred racing industry," the California Thoroughbred Trainers organization is urging its members to actively oppose AB 856 as it works its way through the legislative process this year.
Most Popular Stories
- Leroidesanimaux Dies at 16
- Destin Work is 'Stamina Builder' for Belmont
- Taris Could Opt for Triple Bend Over Vanity
- Little Nappy is Shackleford's First Winner
- Rockingham to End All Operations Aug. 31
- Catch a Glimpse Probable for Penn Mile
- Governor Malibu Has Strong Work for Belmont
- America's Galileo
- Velasquez to Ride Full-Time at Gulfstream
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever