California Gov. Gray Davis signed Assembly Bill 471 into law on Aug. 13, authorizing advance deposit wagering and including provisions that will allow backstretch workers to organize for collective bargaining purposes.
Calling a backstretch unionization bill filed in the state Assembly a "very real threat to the viability of California's entire Thoroughbred racing industry," the California Thoroughbred Trainers organization is urging its members to actively oppose AB 856 as it works its way through the legislative process this year.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Fast and Accurate Scores Spiral Upset
- Mind Your Biscuits Rises to Occasion in Golden Shaheen
- Thunder Snow Gets Up in UAE Derby
- Irish War Cry Works With Wood Memorial Bid Likely
- I Thought I had Seen it All
- Second Summer catches Sharp Azteca in Godolphin Mile
- Jack Hobbs, Vivlos Score on the Turf at Meydan
- Gunnevera Leads Busy Sophomore Work Slate
- Purely a Dream Leads Bourbonette Exacta for McPeek