California invader La Martina, the odds-on 1-2 favorite in a field of eight 3-year-old fillies, dug in courageously inside the final sixteenth of mile to win Thursday's $125,000 Walmac Lone Star Oaks.
Trainer Ron McAnally hopes to spring an upset in the $200,000 Honeymoon Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIT) Saturday at Hollywood Park with French-import Alozaina. If he does, he will tie the late trainer Charlie Whittingham for most Honeymoon victories.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Headed to Dubai World Cup
- Conquest Mo Money Still Undefeated, Sunland Derby Next
- Five Share Fastest Time in Fasig-Tipton Sale Works
- Prominent Ohio Breeder George Smith Dies at 84
- Finger Lakes Season Could be on Line at Feb. 27 Meeting
- Girvin Upsets Risen Star Stakes
- Willy North Returns to Sales Scene at Fasig-Tipton
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Canadian Racing Channel HPItv to Remain on the Air
- Unique Bella Tops Roster of 109 Kentucky Oaks Nominees