Munnings, a seven-furlong sprint specialist with three grade II wins to his credit, has been retired and will stand the 2011 breeding season at Ashford Stud near Versailles, Ky.
Favored Icon Project, ridden by Julien Leparoux, demolished her rivals with a Rachel Alexandra-type performance Aug. 30 in the $400,000 Personal Ensign Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga Race course.
It didn't take long for the Fasig-Tipton Saratoga yearling sale to hit with a seven-figure yearling. Despite a steady rain outside, the bidding began with spirit in the Humphrey S. Finney pavilion, with a $1.1 million bid for Hip No. 13, a daughter of Storm Cat, out of champion older filly Jewel Princess.
La Gueriere, a grade I winner who produced multiple graded winner Lasting Approval, brought the top price of $610,000 during Diane Perkins' Wimborne Farm dispersal Saturday.
Central Kentucky horsewoman Diane Perkins, who raced such top performers as Lord At War and La Gueriere, will be dispersing her breeding stock by auction July 13 at her Wimborne Farm near Paris, Ky
Lady Winborne was euthanized on June 24 because of the infirmities of old age.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Arrives at Los Alamitos
- Jaramillo Named to Ride Majesto in Derby
- Suddenbreakingnews to Have New Look in Derby
- Nyquist Another Big Score for Dennis O'Neill
- Nyquist Gets First Look at Churchill Downs
- Ben's Cat Victorious in Return at Laurel
- Derby Battle: Tapit vs. Uncle Mo
- Lady Shipman Easy Winner in Belmont Return
- Adventist 'Ready' if Derby Spot Opens Up
- A Derby Rookie's First Churchill Morning