Affluent and Got Koko, prepping for the March 9 Santa Margarita Invitational Handicap (gr. I) at 1 1/8 miles, worked on Santa Anita's fast main track Friday.
Got Koko, upset winner of the La Brea (gr. I) in her last start, proved she's no fluke in Sunday's $150,000 El Encino Stakes (gr. II), delivering a 1 1/2-length triumph over favored Bella Bellucci at Santa Anita.
If any horse could prevent Affluent from becoming only the third filly to sweep the prestigious La Cañada series, it's Summer Colony.
Affluent squeezed through a narrow opening on the inside and won a fierce stretch battle over Royally Chosen in the $150,000 El Encino Stakes on Sunday at Santa Anita Park.
The $1-million Santa Anita Handicap, to be run March 2, will be the richest of the 61 stakes races offered during the 2001-02 Santa Anita Winter/Spring Meeting that begins Wednesday, Dec. 26. The 85-day meeting, which concludes April 21, features 43 graded races and total stakes purses of over $11-million.
Most Popular Stories
- Average, Median Rise at Doncaster Sale
- Smart Strike Stallion Sons
- Champion Divine Fortune Dies After Fall
- American Pharoah Takes Easy Gallop at Spa
- First Winner for Desert Key
- Belmont Winner Palace Malice Retired
- NBC Schedules Two-Hour Travers Broadcast
- Travers Stakes: High Anxiety
- OBS Yearling Sale Stays Steady on Final Day
- Illinois Vote Could Impact Thoroughbred Dates