Jockey Kyle Kaenel has retired due to extensive injuries the 21-year-old Oceanside, N.Y., native suffered in a riding spill at Fairplex Park in Southern California Sept. 27.
Team Portland Meadows dominated its fellow riders from Golden Gate Fields in winning the first "XpressBet Jockey Challenge" at its home track Jan. 7.
Racing may have been winding down on Saturday, Oct. 28, the final day of Keeneland's fall meet, but top stakes contenders were taking advantage of the opportunity to get in one last work over Polytrack before the Breeders' Cup World Championships at Churchill Downs Nov. 4.
Grade I winner Malibu Mint angled six wide coming off the turn and closed impressively under strong urging from jockey Kyle Kaenel to register a one-length victory in the $300,000 Thoroughbred Club of America Stakes (gr. III) for fillies and mares at Keeneland Saturday.
Jockey Kyle Kaenel, the son of "Cowboy" Jack Kaenel who won the 1982 Preakness (gr. I) with Aloma's Ruler, will move his tack to Northern California's Golden Gate Fields after Friday's 10-race card at Laurel Park.
The 17-year-old apprentice Kyle Kaenel, out since April with two fractured vertebrae and a broken shoulder, rode his first winner since being injured when he brought home Edward Fortino's 3-year-old Dobson in the sixth race at Hawthorne on Sunday.
Apprentice Kyle Kaenel was cleared to begin riding again on Wednesday after recovering from an April racing injury at Turf Paradise that left him with two fractured vertebrae.
Turf Paradise's 49th season of racing ended Sunday, with the Phoenix, Arizona track reporting a 2% across-the-board increase in wagering during the 160-day stand (seven days of racing were cancelled due to extreme weather).
Sixteen-year-old apprentice jockey Kyle Kaenel completed the abbreviated race week at Turf Paradise March 29 with 13 victories in four days, including back-to-back four-baggers.
Most Popular Stories
- Focused Hemsworth Entered in Curlin Stakes
- Stronach Group Explores Expansion into Massachusetts
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Baffert Still Aiming Arrogate for Pacific Classic
- Gutsy Move Gets Abel Tasman CCA Oaks Win
- Big World to be Offered at Fasig-Tipton November Sale
- Abel Tasman, Elate Exit CCA Oaks in Good Order
- Hard Aces Looks for Repeat in Cougar II
- Lady Eli Runs 'One of Her Greatest Races to Date'
- Awesome Banner Posts Bullet Ahead of Vanderbilt